You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Degrading Clipboard Data and Reducing Quality

Hello everyone, i know this is an affinity feature, but it is creating a lot of issues. We being designers need to use multiple software, which suits our needs. As a result we need to transfer data from one software to another, sometimes using export and MOST OFTEN using clipboard :)

Affinity is somehow restricting and degrading the quality of data { images "jpg png" not text/svg } while copying them to other software. This is a Critical issue !!! 

kindly let me know if there already exist a way around copying high quality images to clipboard, or  if not, i request affinity to look into this problem and prove an alternative copying method. I am providing a proof image.

PS :

* "Before any suspicion about target/destination software emerges, i would like to clarify the software is illustrator. so this is not a pixel problem. also canvas size is same as affinity artboard in this case here."

* copy item as svg option also does not help the situation. the logo i am trying to copy is not svg but a high quality png image. affinity reduce quality on images only.

problem.jpg

Oh, no! This is not good. I was just working on a document in Affinity Publisher. I couldn't save the document for some reason as the save options were greyed out. I copied the text, restarted Publisher and pasted into a new document. It wasn't live copy anymore, but an image! All my work was lost somehow. Affinity, what can we do in this situation! I'm using the latest version, 1.9 on a windows machine.

Normally text is copied as text, but in your case you copied the selected text frames? Maybe you check if Preferences >> General >> Copy items as SVG is ticked and then try again. If even this fails, the final option would be to export as PDF and open the PDF in APu.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Normally text is copied as text, but in your case you copied the selected text frames? Maybe you check if Preferences >> General >> Copy items as SVG is ticked and then try again. If even this fails, the final option would be to export as PDF and open the PDF in APu.

hi, much appreciated for resonse :)  but it doesn't help either. The object here i am trying to copy is image jpg/png . Other objects like vectors/svg or text are copied just fine. This is a website design and client need a psd to handover to developer. 

This may be related to a current bug with 1.9 (including latest betas) where the clipboard loses information in transit - It effects me pasting into illustrator (for essential edits that can't yet be done in Designer) I have a CMYK workflow and as long as you have the same colour profiles setup in Affinity and Illustrator, all colour information is retained, this has always worked perfectly as far back as I can remember, I've even tested it with Designer 1.3.2 which works as expected, but now in 1.9 up to current beta, vector information is preserved, but it looks as though the Affinity clipboard copies RGB so on pasting into illustrator the precise CMYK percentages are a total mess, but copy pasting from illustrator to Designer all CMYK is retained - I've not tried copy pasting raster data from Affinity to other apps as I only do so to work on vectors then copy paste back into Affinity but I'm guessing the problem is related - If so this bug is logged, so should hopefully be fixed soon? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 3/23/2021 at 2:14 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

This may be related to a current bug with 1.9 (including latest betas) where the clipboard loses information in transit - It effects me pasting into illustrator (for essential edits that can't yet be done in Designer) I have a CMYK workflow and as long as you have the same colour profiles setup in Affinity and Illustrator, all colour information is retained, this has always worked perfectly as far back as I can remember, I've even tested it with Designer 1.3.2 which works as expected, but now in 1.9 up to current beta, vector information is preserved, but it looks as though the Affinity clipboard copies RGB so on pasting into illustrator the precise CMYK percentages are a total mess, but copy pasting from illustrator to Designer all CMYK is retained - I've not tried copy pasting raster data from Affinity to other apps as I only do so to work on vectors then copy paste back into Affinity but I'm guessing the problem is related - If so this bug is logged, so should hopefully be fixed soon? 

hi i really appreciate your response, but i am not talking about onject losing color. For sure if i work in rgb, moving object to cmyk document will lose its color. My point was my image was getting pixelated from affinity to illustrator, affinity was kind of degrading their quality though copy paste using clipboard. This was the main issue i was referring to :-)

Hi @Gabe  Thanks! indeed i had illustrator using inches units instead of pixels. And like you suggested i tried recreating the same with same units but did not occur. so yes you were right, it was my mistake here, and not any bug. i apologize for any inconvenience and i am really thankful for such an elaborated and definitive answer. :)

ps: i thought maybe both affinity and illustrator do not work in pixel, so why would units interfere here but i was wrong :) thanks for clearing it out to me again. you're wonderful.