You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hiding blue selection outlines when applying layer effects

As per the title, when using Affinity Designer / Photo is there any way to hide the blue lines that surround your layer selection when applying a layer effect?

I could have sworn that I used to hold down the space bar and they would disappear much like when you do that just in the document normally?

Doesn't appear to be doing that now and maybe I'm mis-remembering but could have sworn I used to be able to do that? I can see it's possible if I hold the space bar down before clicking on the layer effects icon to bring that window up but if I accidentally let go of the space bar whilst applying effects then there is no way to press the space bar again to hide the outlines. You'd need to go out of the layer effects window in order to re-apply the space bar again.

Have I by any chance changed some setting unintentionally which is making this happen now?

Many thanks,

Mark

56 minutes ago, markbowen said:

is there any way to hide the blue lines that surround your layer selection when applying a layer effect?

Switch to another tool that doesn't mark any actual object selection on the canvas, e.g. the View tool (hand).

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, loukash said:

Switch to another tool that doesn't mark any actual object selection on the canvas, e.g. the View tool (hand).

Hi loukash,

That's great thanks. Could have sworn I used to be able to hold down the space bar in there and get rid of them but guessing I was imagining that.

Thanks again,

Mark

Just now, markbowen said:

Could have sworn I used to be able to hold down the space bar in there and get rid of them but guessing I was imagining that.

No, that's also a way to disable the bounding boxes beacause it temporarily enables the View tool as well. But in some scenarios you can't hold the spacebar while wanting to adjust other things.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just now, loukash said:

No, that's also a way to disable the bounding boxes beacause it temporarily enables the View tool as well. But in some scenarios you can't hold the spacebar while wanting to adjust other things.

I could have sworn I used to do that but obviously not ;-)

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated.

1 minute ago, markbowen said:

I could have sworn I used to do that

It will work if the floating Layer Effects window does not have focus.
But if you want to adjust parameters, it will automatically gain focus and then the spacebar (and the keyboard in general) affects this very window, not the main window behind.

1 hour ago, loukash said:

But if you want to adjust parameters, it will automatically gain focus and then the spacebar (and the keyboard in general) affects this very window, not the main window behind.

I cannot confirm that. When I hold down the space bar, the lines around the layer boundary disappear even when I adjust the layer effects. Whether this window has the focus or not does not matter.

Regards,
Felix

(this text was translated with DeepL, I apologize for any errors)

1 hour ago, Failix said:

the layer boundary disappear even when I adjust the layer effects

While you adjust the layer effects.
Yep, noticed that, too.

But that has nothing to do with holding the spacebar.