You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi so I have the following questions and have in mind Im no genius have gone some courses in photoshop and might be lacking some of the core stuff but have always been able to create visually good stuff anyway. But I am having some fundamental problems with this software:

• How do you refine edges like in photoshop to get rid of unwanted outlines? (When you have a picture and get rid of background by highlighting it and press delete, theres always some unwanted stuff around the edges left.)
  • When selecting layers some options are greyed out. like select sampled color and refine edges to name a few. There is no real explanation to why they are greyed out.
  • When I resize a picture it gets really ugly pixel wise. am I missing something?

post-19612-0-23873700-1444493843_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi DennyTwist,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1) If you have a selection active, just click the Refine button on the context toolbar (available for some tools, not all) or got to menu Select ▸ Refine Edges... to open the Refine Selection dialog. If you want to refine an existing mask, right click over its thumbnail in the Layers panel and select Refine Mask...

For more information about refining selections check this video tutorial and Affinity Photo Help ▸ Selections ▸ Refining pixel selection edges

2) To be able to select Refine Edges... from the menu you must have a selection active.

To be able to use Select Sampled Colour..., you must first convert the image layer - which is an object layer type, identified as (Image) in the Layers panel - into a pixel layer - which is a general container to perform raster operations, identified as (Pixel) in the Layers panel. To do this right-click the image layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise...

3) Go to Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences, Performance tab and check if View Quality is set to Bilinear (Best Quality).

Im currently having the same questions and as far as the refine edges goes I think its a bug cause its not giving me live update so I pretty much need to apply to see the out come.  

plus the resizing baffles me, you make a high resolution image smaller and it lose its details.. the view quality does not help.

Im pretty new to this app but coming from the video/post production world it is a mystery why there isn't something "more" like a keying  function. To key/select  a range within one window and refine luma/saturation/hue qualifier to get the selection from there, and have sliders to have control of what you want to select.   To me the select tools makes me want to work on images in a video suite. 

in general Im assuming affinity photo isn't optimised for el capitan

• 1 month later...

The difference between image layers (objects) and pixel layers with respect to resizing can easily be understood, when you perform the following experiment:

• Place an image on a canvas at original size. It will show up as an image layer in the layers list.
  • Duplicate that layer, and scale down both the original and the copy considerably.
  • Rasterise the copy, but leave the original alone. The rasterised layer will show up as a pixel layer in the layers list.
  • Now, when you scale both objects back to their original size, you will note a certain pixelation of the copy, whereas the original appears still the same.

And that means, by rasterising an image layer, you will loose the original pixel information of that image and render the image at its current size into your document. As long as the image layer is not rasterised, the original pixel information is retained. Hope that helps …  :)

post-1198-0-97084100-1447705507_thumb.png

Hi MBd,

I assume you are talking about things like using the Mesh Warp tool. What if mesh warps could be applied to placed images at their original resolution? Interesting idea, hadn’t thought of that … makes sense indeed …  :)

Cheers, Alex

post-1198-0-73672900-1447785681_thumb.png

Could someone explain to me why there is the requirement to rasterize an image to perform certain operations? As far as I can tell rasterizing is a destructive operation, correct? There is so much said about how beneficial it is to make edits and adjustments that are non-destructive. And yet to do a simple thing like use the inpainting brush to remove a phone line requires a destructive operation? I really don't understand this.

it could be rasterized to it´s native resolution, then it wound´t be an issue and we can already use this if we place this image and thus have it as a separate file in the file.

But maybe this could be build right into the normal behavior.