You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Vector Layer - Mask with layer effects help needed

Hi there,

First of all sorry for the title on this one as wasn't really sure how to title it!

I've been testing out Affinity Designer today and added a very simple 3D layer effect to a shape (shown in image attached).

I was wondering if there is some way to get just the highlight which is on the top right of the shape without the shadow at the bottom left?

I tried all the controls in the 3D layer effect but couldn't get it to go and then I thought I'd just mask out the shape to just get what I wanted but that applies the effect to the edge of the mask also so I'm a little stumped as to how to get what I need here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mark

294912855_VectorFX.png.86d589672b05c5b1a29e1c6e11521c65.png

It is difficult - or impossible - to achieve a 3D effect without having a light area and a shadow area.
If you want to achieve an effect similar to the image that I attach, you should use another technique. You can use a line with the thickness you need and blur it. On the opposite side of the light bulb, do the same with an equal or similar line, but always with a light or bright color.

Anyway, the Greyfox solution seems more elegant to me and you will have fewer elements in the design.

Thanks, Greyfox.

3D without shadow.png

Thanks everyone!

Telemax thanks for that. By bringing down the shininess also I was able to get what I wanted. Hadn't been messing with the controls enough obviously! 🙂

Best wishes,

Mark

994700918_VectorStyles2.png.c16f8376fd6133fd0a8014169200c361.png