You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UI Frequently Appears When It Shouldn't

skmwrp

Version 1.9.1/1.9.7 - Have UI hidden. When doing Undo with a two-finger tap, approximately 40% of the time, the UI will reappear, though I am tapping nowhere near the Hide UI icon. Lack of shortcut to hide UI, I have to stop and touch the icon in the top corner to hide it again.

Have tried purposeful single-finger tap, two-finger tap, two-finger twist and can't figure out the event that causes it to appear

• Staff

Hi skmwrp,

Is it the full UI (all 4 sides) that re-appear or is it just the context toolbar? We're aware of an issue that causes the context toolbar to re-appear when using brush tools and undo/redo. However I'm not getting the entire UI reappearing.

Are you able to get a quick screen grab of it happening (with Show Touch enabled) please?

Full UI.

I know how to do a screen recording, but not how to enable Show Touch.

Okay, I've found that it's in the setting of Designer itself under General. I was searching the iOS settings.

I now seem to have it repeatable. It appears it may be a race condition where I two-tap Undo quickly after laying down the stroke, though I've had it appear with other taps. Also notice that the brush stroke I'm undoing doesn't actually get undone when the UI pops up.

Is there any actual gestures that unhide the UI?

• Staff

Thanks for the video - interestingly I'm still unable to reproduce it, however I have found we do have an issue logged that the UI does unhide due to palm rejection failing, and after resting my palm on the screen somewhat I was able to reproduce it. 

Does this sound similar to how you're using it? Does this stop happening if you hover over the iPad and only make contact with your finger tips?

I wear a Huion finger glove, but it's pretty thin. I found that I do rest my palm on the glass while drawing, but lift my hand off to only hit with the two fingers as I'm using the same hand. But if I do it fast enough – lift-then-tap — then I can get it to happen.

But if I never touch the glass while drawing the brush strokes and then two-tap, it doesn't happen. So it sounds like the palm rejection problem, that the state lingers for a moment which gives me time to two-tap & unhide the UI. I specifically tested drawing with my gloved side of hand resting on the glass, fully lifted it off, and two-tapped and still got the problem.

Actually, check that. I just reproduced it with my hand hovering fully off the glass — brush, tap, UI showed. Over a dozen times now, hand never touching glass except for the tap. Twice with no glove to see if it was a static problem. Also tried with brush-grab Apple Pencil from hand-tap and still reproduced, in case it's a pencil proximity issue.

I use the same hand for brush & tap, which I do in quick succession. Can't reproduce the problem with brush with one hand, tap with the other, but then I would never do that naturally.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, just found something new. This is a non-reality case, but it seems to point to a race condition I might be running into.

Two-finger glove, Apple Pencil in same hand, using vector brush. If I put two fingers down as though to rotate or zoom, and also let the pencil tip touch the screen, the UI appears for a moment until I lift my hand off again. (No palm resting at any time.) Sometimes the UI stays.

The Color Picker appears at the tip of my pencil, then disappears, so I'm guessing there's some color picker functionality there? Any way to turn that off currently, as I never use the color picker? (Only color I get to use is black.)

Now, in reality, i never let the pencil tip touch like that, but I move quickly, inking. I wonder if I just happen to slip into some timing buffer or in between two running tasks. You know, like they do in Inception, but without the guns or exploding Paris.

Also, I have Touch for Gestures Only turned on, if that makes any difference. And if the UI shows up, the two-finger tap to Undo doesn't register.

• 4 weeks later...