You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't find the command for the placeholder text

Hello, can someone tell me where is the placeholder text command in the iPad version?

Could not find it. Or is this the next function that does not exist in the iPad version?

Had to create an extra file for me now where a placeholder text is located so I have one.

Actually assumed there was no difference between the desktop and tablet versions. But now I unfortunately had to find out that the tablet version is only a slimmed down version and that there are some features not there, which I use quite often in the desktop version.

A quick search on the internet for "filler text", "dummy text" or "lorem ipsum" will give you text you can copy and paste easily. Bookmark a good site and you're sorted, no need for a separate file if that bothers you.

You can also paste the text into a Text Frame and then save that as a Symbol if you find that more useful than a separate file.

Bare in mind that Designer is technically  illustration, not long-form text layout software. Once Publisher is available for the iPad then that'll be even clearer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Hello,
thank you for your answer. Of course I know that Designer is not a layout program. But in the desktop version there is this function and now I was looking for it in the tablet version.

As long as I don't have Publisher available on the tablet, but want to create layouts, I use Designer as an alternative. Am actually a PC user and do not have a Mac. Want to be able to open my files on the PC as well and not work on the tablet with another layout program whose files I end up not being able to open on the PC.

Bought an iPad just to be able to work with Affinity products on the go. A laptop is too bulky for me and would then also have to take a graphics tablet in addition. Use mainly a graphics tablet for operation.

Have now saved me in the assets several text frames with different length texts, so I do not have to search for it every time online.

Hopefully there will be publishers for the tablet soon.

1 hour ago, PaRunk said:

Of course I know that Designer is not a layout program.

I suspected you did. There are many who don't understand the distinction though. I write my answers with the fact others may land here in mind. Trying to accomplish two things - help the person asking the question + provide general information that I feel it's important to understand for others.

After posting, I wondered about Assets instead of Symbols. It's the better approach of the two I suspect (I've not used the Assets panel so much, so am not confident about advising on its use.)

Glad you've come up with a way of working. There often is a way with a bit of creativity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.