You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a Vector Wooden Crate

An8wRsC.gif

I'm still learning but might be useful to share.

So to create a cartoon wooden crate.

First we need to decide on the angle

nBgiMC5.png

Now I decided on the first one because you get more room to play with, can add in more character to the box, also the banner size i was working to is 1024x512 so that perspective fits in nicely. Remember google image search is your best friend when looking for references.

Next step is to get the basic shape correct, i use the shape tools you could do it free hand but using shapes is easier for me.

7xZiHXj.pngAs you can see here i used 2 trapezoid's on there sides different heights this gives be a nice base perspective to work from while i build up more details.

Once we have the basic shape down time for the first layer of details, now as i'm learning this, details tend to come in layers, big details, medium small. So the first big details are the wooden panels

EI6xvyS.png

Now i find when building something like this its easier to build as tho you were building it with wood, you could create solid colour blocks but i find each panel being its own curve makes things easier and give you more control with colours and outlines and basic shapes, as you can see i start by making small variations in some of the panels, because wood isnt all the same colour unless it comes from ikea.

So how its time for some more medium details

wWFHC8Z.pngNow this is were things become interesting, now you could add details forever with a material like wood, were you stop is up to you, while you work these details in try to think of were the dark parts will be, were the wood will split. Now this box is magically glued together, but sometimes you might want to add nails etc.

So at this point the box is done its just the labeling, mine was for a build guide for game AI, so i add this to the labels, trying to keep the labeling in theme with the box, as while neon lighting is cool, you dont see that attached to a shipping crate.

hKMChNt.png

So there we have it. I hope that helps someone, next time i do something like this i'll do a screen recording aswell and remember dont be put off by your first attempt, heres this project's first attempt.

nno1uNQ.png