You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please can stroke widths affect all nested shapes!

*Moved to affinity designer for desktop forum*

Hi,

Please see the video for a better description of what I mean.

https://www.loom.com/share/9f45690b749843728a3584690db2ebdb

Basically, I thought this was a bug a few years ago when I started using Affinity Designer and I posted on this forum but the response was that this is by design.

But I've just done another book with tens and tens of characters. And it is SOO hard to change the stroke weight of all the characters because all the nested shapes are not affected. It is simply not feasible to go in to each instance of a character and drill down, change the lineweight of the nested shapes every time. 

Characters need to have variable line weights so that they can be placed in different scenes and make sure their line weights are appropriate for the context. And the reason that I nest shapes inside other shapes instead is for economical reason. For example, if I want to make slight adjustments to characters, in a turnaround for example, I can just move the internal shapes around to create a slightly different angle on the character, for example front, front 3/4 and side angles. Nesting shapes in their parent shapes means you don't have to mess around with masks. If the parent shape changes, you have to make sure that the mask is also changed. It would just be so much simpler, quicker and make production so much more efficient if nested shapes were able to have their stroke changed with the parent.

PLEASE can you make a tick box or something to have stroke width affect all nested shapes, just like there is a tick box for 'Lock Children' when scaling

I would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks.