You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dual monitors/different resolutions

Hello everyone, I would like to count on your help for the following: I use a Full HD monitor and soon I will have another 4k. I'm thinking of using the 4k monitor to view my photos to edit and use the older FullHD monitor for the program's palettes (using all three Affinity apps; Photo in particular and also the others) Is this possible? My system is an old but still very faithful Mac Pro 5.1 with a new Radeon RX 580 8GB graphics card. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi @AT.HA 

Is this possible?

Go for it - it absolutely is possible.  My primary display is a recently new 4K display and, since I had it available, an old 1600x900 display hooked up as my secondary display.  The snap below shows Affinity Photo on the main display and the Histogram, Scope and Channels on the secondary display.  I'm pretty sure I remember that I recently had a second column of panels on the right.

IMG_3292.png.231f1381820b30ce660043c0256dc5b7.png

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Dear Gary, 

thanks a lot for your help; excellent news. I guess one can display only the image using the 4k display? And all the app panels on the second display?

(Side note)

I noticed that you are using a Mac Mini M1. 8 GB or 16 GB ram?

Any issues with serif apps and that M1? No problems dealing with big raw photographic 50 mpx files?

Thanks again.

Best.

Hi AT.HA - I haven't actually tried it (I don't think I would like having all the tools and panels off to one side), but I see no reason why you couldn't have it arranged the way you describe.  Try it and see if you like it.

(Side note)

I decided to go with the 16GB RAM option (and the 2TB SSD).  So far, I've been very happy with its performance.

I've not experienced any general problems with the Affinity suite of apps running on the M1.  However, I've not pushed it hard with large complex image files (such as raw photographic 50 mpx files).

One recent performance related issue cropped up that seems to have highlighted a performance difference between the 8GB and 16GB options.  That was specifically to do with the way the HDR processing algorithms operate - details here.  That left one recent Mac-switcher very disappointed since HDR was central to what he wanted to do.  But this was very specific and I can't think of any other stories like that.

I would certainly recommend that if you can possibly afford it, go for 16GB.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release