You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[DAM] Affinity Lightroom Killer Request

Curious, what RAW support is C1 missing?

Competing MF cameras.  Aside from that though, it's not anywhere near the DAM that Aperture is/was.  Nice RAW conversion though.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have just switched to Affinity from various stints with Serif Photo+ and, more recently, Photoshop and Lightroom - that latter of which I simply hate. However, for almost as many donkey-years as I have used Photo+, I have used ACDSee. I am now on "ACDSee Ultimate 10". It seems to work-well with Affinity. Not wanting to do Serif out of any money but I actually think the combination of the two (as with PS+LR) makes each better - so means I can use Affinity + ACDSee for everything. NB: ACDSee offer a subscription service (Adobe style) but also a "pay-once" programme (Serif Style). NB2: ACDSee also offer cheaper programmes than its "Ultimate" offering for simple file management.  https://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-ultimate

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts...

- Jaques's speech from William Shakespeare's "As You Like It" (Act II; Scene VII)

It's already June 2017, any thoughts here from the team about an Adobe Bridge replacement?

I am really looking for a tool to replace Bridge which will allow me to view thumbnails and add/edit metadata for illustrations and photos. This is a requirement for stock image uploads.

I guess I will be to market before it hits. Should be thankful for this opportunity :) I'm currently planning on 2018 for my Aperture replacement... If the need exists and Affinity doesn't move on the DAM front I could keep you informed when beta comes out.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

I've come across something called ResourceSpace which I'm going to try and install in my ISP space.  ResourceSpace also offer trial accounts, but 1GB isn't going to cut it for me so I hope I'll get a personal setup running (not a big fan of cloudy things).

The main challenge is making time for it.  It's not just the install, it's also transfer and tagging.  I'll have to set up a workflow so I can do this in batches.  I've tried to do this with ACDsee but having it online makes it less dependent on my laptop and makes it easier to give someone else controlled access to some parts.

Update 19 Jun 2017: I couldn't get ResourceSpace to work (uploads simply vanished), which may not be the software but my ISP as they use FreeBSD, not all Open Source ports that easily.  I ended up installing Piwigo which is actually a tad too simplistic but which will do for now.  The killer feature for me is Piwigo's ability to be a front end to a storage area on the server so I can push a directory (and subdirectories) up to the server with FileZilla and then run a sync, after which those directories show up as galleries.  I still have to title/tag them and set rights, but it's good enough for my personal needs.  It's too lightweight for commercial use, though.

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2017 at 7:26 AM, befehr said:

It's already June 2017, any thoughts here from the team about an Adobe Bridge replacement?

I am really looking for a tool to replace Bridge which will allow me to view thumbnails and add/edit metadata for illustrations and photos. This is a requirement for stock image uploads.

There is currently one product on the market (that I know of) that allows you to view thumbnails from Affinity Photo/Designer - Pixave, which you can get on the Mac App Store.  Adobe Bridge doesn't allow you to view thumbnails, and you can't see a preview either.  Lightroom is only limited to PNG, TIFF, JPG and RAW.  Pixave handles more file types than anything I know of, and it previews Affinity quite nicely.  It's the thing to use until Affinity comes with their DAM, which I'm really looking forward to.  

Native windows explorer views ap/ad file thumbnails. I prefer the idea of keeping the design documents out of a db, if recipes and meta data were saved in side cars or could be extracted/synced with a DAM DB application for cataloguing/searching/batching, referencing the documents in the file system I'd be good.
That would also allow for the possibility to import data from other applications that use sidecars which would be very cool.

Yes I agree that it is never a good idea to put actual design document in any DAM.  However with template, mockup and element files it is a completely different matter.  I want to find these design elements quickly by their tag, name and other metadata.  I use Pixave for Affinity templates and Lingo for SVG, TIFF, EPS, JPG and PNGs.  I greatly speeds up my workflow to quickly find and drop in templates/components.  

Here's one example:  Someone sends me a Sketch file, and I don't want to continue editing in Sketch but want to import all the assets.  I then use the Lingo plugin within Sketch.  Then all the assets (I can pick auto or manual mode to import).  Now all the Sketch components are in Lingo and can copy to the clipboard as SVG or PNG into the Affinity document that I'm working on.  I don't have to deal with copy/paste from Sketch directly.  All symbols are imported as well.  I wish Lingo could would with Affinity but not as of yet.

On 14/08/2017 at 0:09 AM, harrym said:

Native windows explorer views ap/ad file thumbnails. I prefer the idea of keeping the design documents out of a db, if recipes and meta data were saved in side cars or could be extracted/synced with a DAM DB application for cataloguing/searching/batching, referencing the documents in the file system I'd be good.
That would also allow for the possibility to import data from other applications that use sidecars which would be very cool.

Computers are good at automation.  It's what they do.  Alongside that, we have human beings, who are terrible at automation.  When we try to persuade human beings to let the computers take care of the automation, they resist.  Not always, but often.

The current MacOS is full of automation, but I hardly know anyone that uses it.  They still prefer to organise everything themselves.

A DAM needs to take care of all this work.  It is just so much better not to have to even think about it.  Any DAM is simply a front-end to a database (as is the Finder or Windows Explorer).  I use Aperture to move files around between disks or other locations.  It is a much better UI for doing this than the Finder.  It also stores all the metadata I need.  If I move a file, I don't have to worry about moving any sidecars with it, because Aperture takes care of it for me.  The last thing I want is to have to worry about any related files getting lost and having to remember where they are and where I want them to be.

The best thing to do with a database, is to embrace it fully and allow it to do its work.  It'll be better and more reliable.

(Grumpy is really the right word.  He is a working sheep dog ... of the live outside in a kennel variety.  He didn't like my camera and if he'd had half a chance he'd have had my hand off.  The fact that he resembles Yosemite Sam is just a bonus).

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2017 at 7:44 PM, GFS said:

(Grumpy is really the right word.  He is a working sheep dog ... of the live outside in a kennel variety.  He didn't like my camera and if he'd had half a chance he'd have had my hand off.  The fact that he resembles Yosemite Sam is just a bonus).

I hadn't noticed the resemblance until you mentioned it, but now that I've seen it I'm finding it impossible to 'unsee' it! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, rafikiphoto said:

I just came across this thread. Don't reinvent the wheel! iMatch (photools.com) has it all and integrates well with Affinity Photo. Concentrate on the fantastic software you have developed and forget about a DAM. Just my two penny worth! :ph34r:

I watched (sic) the video and to be honest, it is like going back in time to some awful Windows software ... which is probably what it is.  The difference between it and Aperture is vast.  Please Serif, whatever you do, don't do it like IMatch.  For those of us, that spend our days working with DAM software this would be like a cruel, brutal torture, or ... like using camera manufacturer's own raw software.  Sort of as awful as Olympus Viewer 3 or Nikon's thing, or Pentax's thing.  Uuuughh.

(Sorry rafikiphoto ... not sure how to say this without being contrary).

43 minutes ago, Mvdarbs said:

I have noticed that things have gone very quiet on this DAM front?

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, Mark, given that APub (the last of the three main apps) is so long overdue and AD for iPad is obviously waiting in the wings!

Alfred spacer.png

Ive just had the following reply from the Affinity guys on Twitter...

From @AffinitybySerif - "No updates at the moment, when we have more information we'll let everyone know"

I would read in to that... "Not anytime soon so stop asking" lol

Pains me to do it but I have just downloaded Adobe Bridge 

On 01/10/2017 at 11:09 AM, Mvdarbs said:

From @AffinitybySerif - "No updates at the moment, when we have more information we'll let everyone know"

I would read in to that... "Not anytime soon so stop asking" lol 

rotfl.gif

Alfred spacer.png