You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks not working

Hi, I've been using Publisher for a good 18 months - and have noticed that all of a sudden (a couple of months ago), whenever i try to change the hyperlink on any text, it a) reverts back to an old one b) when I export/publish the doc, it's not hyperlinked any way. 

I've tried creating new text to then re-test, but still getting the same issue. 

Has anyone else found this issue - or has there been an update where the process of adding hyperlinks has changed?

Thanks in advance!

For the Export part of it:  The option to include hyperlinks is now "off" by default in the PDF export presets that are intended for printing. Hyperlinks don't make sense there, since they can't be used in printed documents. But you can turn them on in the More... part of the Export dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Walt

What a stupid idea with turning off Hyperlinks.

I have a project that was created in the previous version of Publisher, and I had exported it and it was perfect with Hyperlinks.

After a spelling correction after installing the new version of Publisher, I exported it and distributed it to 60 donors - after receiving complaints about the hyperlinks not working I've waisted a whole morning seeing what I had done different - and ploughing through the list of bugs - searching for Hyperlinks not working, doesn't come to this page!( perhaps they've turned off the links!!).

The index function is a great tool, but in the workbook it's pho phoed as "we've included it but we can't see a use for it" and doesn't even say that it produces hyperlinks from the index to the page needed.

Rant over.

The "newbie" referring to me even though I've been using Serif since version 1.

How annoying!  I've just wasted an hour trying to get them to work too!  I have an email newsletter to send out and before now, they worked.  Updated to 1.9.2 and no longer....  Surely the majority of users will need this facility in this day and age, especially if documents are sent by email. 

Edited by Janea57
to add something

• 1 month later...

This seems like a strange decision.

If the argument is that when you print it out on paper then you can't use hyperlinks, then nothing is lost by including them.

Whereas almost everything is read digitally these days and hyperlinks would be expected to work.

If the act of printing removes hyperlinks, why remove them beforehand? Am I missing something or is this only downside?

I can't explain Serif's design decisions, nor (if it changed) why they made that decision.

You still have 3 ways to get Hyperlinks to work in the exported PDF:

1. Use one of the PDF Digital export presets, rather than one of the Print presets.
  2. Use the More... dialog and enable Hyerlinks.
  3. Create your own Export Preset with Hyperlinks enabled.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem on latest version 1.9-19.3 Publisher on Mac. Once you use hyperlink, the problems starts. you cannot re;eased it, change it etc. Even export function on/off doesn't work at all.! Disastrous.

Lech

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Lecho said:

In Publisher for Intel and M1 Apple 19.3 hyperlink are not working correctly, cannot switch them off. In any of tables, drop down menu or export option. Always activated.

That seems like a problem that is not related to this topic. Your description does not match what we were talking about, and you're on a different OS. You would probably get better answers if you create your own topic and provide more details. A recipe for creating the problem, some screenshots, and ideally a sample .afpub document that demonstrates the problem.

-- Walt
PC:

44 minutes ago, Lecho said:

And?

Did you create the other topic I suggested?

-- Walt
PC: