You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Halftone completely broken when exported?

Hey,

I want to create a halftone version of an image. Seems only way to do this is by using Live Halftone filter?

I am no expert, but I think it is safe to say that the halftone filter is not working as expected. Comments on the images themselves as well.

1. This is a close-up of a detail in the picture, with no pixel view mode selected. Clearly, the white is entirely white - there are no real half toning going on here that is worth conserving in the exported image.
  2. Zooming a bit out, the halftone fill for the white remains the same size as in the first image; now a bit more visible.
  3. Enabling pixel view mode, the white is filled - as if it is gray. This is how the PNG export looks like. Which of course is completely useless. And white is there a completely white halo around the desired halftone pattern?
  4. Again with pixel view mode disabled, the white even is no clearly no longer white - despite the first image showing no such contrast.
  5. Same image with pixel view mode enabled, clearly making the issue even worse.

I have no idea how to work around this, or how to "bake" the halftone at a certain zoom level - if that is possible?

I need to fix this, as what I have tried so far results in rasterised exports (PNG, JPG, etc) that are completely useless to me.

Am I doing this all wrong?

Thanks,
Johan

6.png

2.png

5.png

3.png

1.png

"I have no idea how to work around this, or how to "bake" the halftone at a certain zoom level"

The zoom level only affects the appearance on screen, not the actual effect of the filter. Viewing the image at pixel size (Ctrl+9) gives an accurate view of how the image actually looks.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 hours ago, PaulEC said:

"I have no idea how to work around this, or how to "bake" the halftone at a certain zoom level"

The zoom level only affects the appearance on screen, not the actual effect of the filter. Viewing the image at pixel size (Ctrl+9) gives an accurate view of how the image actually looks.

Err, maybe I didn't make the problem clear: the export is the issue, not the screen. The screen however, can be used to verify that there is no halftone details in the white areas, yet the export gets a base gray. The seemingly unavoidable problem is that:

1. The completely white regions of the picture are exported as halftone "gray".
  2. The only white in the exported area is the halo around a halftone area. This is clearly not how halftone should work.
  3. Even the zoom on screen shows that the white turns gray when zooming out. Again, white should stay white in halftone - no matter the zoom level.
  4. A border is added to the image along the outer edge of the exported image.

Any idea how to fix it? To me this looks like a bug in their algorithm, as the filter is really to simple to mess up. But I would LOVE to learn about any available workaround that does not require a manually added mask.

In short: I would like any and all suggestions that will allow me to export halftone versions of photos containing white, where white stays white - without the demonstrated pixel gray.

Thanks again!

Remember that for live filters it's critical to view them at 100% zoom. If you view them at a lower zoom level you do not see accurate results.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1