You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Individual windows (e.g. "Edit Text Style") too large on small displays and cut off buttons behind taskbar. Can't be resized

Hi,

I am usually using Publisher at my office, where I have two large monitors set up. However, since working from home I often find myself using my small work laptop. It has a 14'' screen and I run into a problem every single time I use Publisher on it:

When I want to edit a text style by right-clicking on "Edit Text Style" the window/box (unsure about the correct terminology here, please see the attached screenshot) that opens is larger than the upper and lower limits of my screen, cutting off the lower controls, such as "OK", "Cancel", and the "apply style" checkbox behind my Windows taskbar. Ordinarily that would be no problem: I would just resize the box to be slightly smaller and then move it up to reach the bottom buttons. However, Publisher doesn't let me resize this box, there are no handles on the side which make the cursor change into the resize cursor. This way there is no way for me to reach the OK and Cancel button on the bottom. I can move the box down, because I can grab it with the cursor at the upper edge, but I can't move the box up, since my cursor hits the upper edge of the screen and doesn't go further.

This is happening both in fullscreen and windowed mode. The screenshot I'm attaching is with the main Publisher application resized into a smaller window, in order to show that the problem exists even then. I have tried setting the windows to floating, this doesn't help. I have not been able to find any other setting that would solve the problem.

I can still change text styles this way because pressing Enter is basically the same thing as pressing the hidden "OK" button in the UI but I can't use the "Cancel" or "apply style" functionalities. I can configure my taskbar to automatically hide when not in focus but this is a very tedious workaround.

A suggested solution for this would be to simply make these windows/boxes resizable or, if not, to make them slightly smaller by default, so they fit on screens when taking the taskbar into consideration.

(This is Publisher 1.9.1.979 run on Windows 10 on a 19'' display at 1920x1080 resolution)

PS: despite my complaint here and the one about footnote support I still think Publisher is amazing software. I just wanted the Dev team to know they're doing great work. I'm sure it must be crushing sometimes to only read bug reports and complaints all day.

Screenshot 2021-03-17 103440.png

PPS: I know that DPT software isn't really supposed to be used on tiny laptop screens but this is the computer my employer issued me and at times I need to do something without having access to bigger screens, especially right now.

PPPS: I have just found out that Windows uses automatic scaling on smaller displays. This is automatically set to 150% and causes this issue. If set to 100% the issue disappears (see screenshot and note the size of every window compared to the previous one).

So this issue is caused by the interaction with Windows 10 scaling, not by Publisher itself. I would still like to suggest that the boxes should be resizable. After all that Windows scaling feature is a necessary one on small displays. I found that I couldn't work at 100% scaling, as everything becomes tiny.

Screenshot 2021-03-17 105857.png