You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know this is gonna sound weird but does anyone one know how to convert a .tpl (tool preset library) file containing brushes to a .abr or .afbrush file? I know it is possible in adobe PS, but im not gonna get adobe lol. i tried editing it with notepad++ to see whats going on  but it is unreadable, and i cant find any documentation about it. Ive attached the .tpl im trying to get into.

Map tools.tpl

Welcome to the forum @ZiggyS The only option I know of is to import them into Photoshop via the tools preset panel, this gives you the option to import as brushes, and then export from the brushes panel.

These brushes look like someone has scanned a popped bubble wrap bubble and made six brushes of various types, not sure how this relates to maps?

image.png.1ec80c7db32086ba14c5426a743c8679.png

Where did this .tpl file come from, I can extract the brushes for you as long as the licence permits it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Welcome to the forum @ZiggyS The only option I know of is to import them into Photoshop via the tools preset panel, this gives you the option to import as brushes, and then export from the brushes panel.

These brushes look like someone has scanned a popped bubble wrap bubble and made six brushes of various types, not sure how this relates to maps?

image.png.1ec80c7db32086ba14c5426a743c8679.png

Where did this .tpl file come from, I can extract the brushes for you as long as the licence permits it.

Thank you for the welcome. I got these brushes from a gumtree post > https://gumroad.com/l/mapmaking

He made a video on how to use them and linked it in the gumtree post, i think it should be good to convert and post but if not thanks for the offer

11 hours ago, firstdefence said:

There’s a big pollution problem in coastal areas these days, often caused by plastic waste material such as bubble wrap!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There you go...

Map Tools.abr

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 year later...

I came looking for pretty much the same thing. I was about to embark on converting each Tool Preset to a Brush Preset, when I came across this script that others might find useful:

https://gist.github.com/gentagonal/9043d3aa0b11740db9e294fa3b55f996

I'm not the author (thank you, gentagonal, whoever you are), and you'll be using it at your own risk. Having said that, it did a good job of brining across what I needed. The brushes still require some tweaks notably in texture scaling.

9 hours ago, mr_lunch said:

I came looking for pretty much the same thing. I was about to embark on converting each Tool Preset to a Brush Preset, when I came across this script that others might find useful:

https://gist.github.com/gentagonal/9043d3aa0b11740db9e294fa3b55f996

I'm not the author (thank you, gentagonal, whoever you are), and you'll be using it at your own risk. Having said that, it did a good job of brining across what I needed. The brushes still require some tweaks notably in texture scaling.

Not sure I see the point of this script if you already have Photoshop and when initially installing a .TPL file are offered the option to import as brushes, which gives additional benefits as advised when loading the tool presets into photoshop.

image.png.d24d4034c0593f4623a510bd4767a496.png 

• 3 weeks later...