You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shadow maker tooltip

Hi to the forum members,  Can anyone tell me if there is a way of generating shadows  below objects easily.  I would willingly pay a reasonable figure for such a tool if it exists.  If a forum member could develop something I would greatly appreciate it as my grey cells need all the help they can get (73 years old and born before there were even any pocket calculators on planet earth)

Edited by KitKat1947
spelling mistake

High Loukash,

Thanks for the video.  I will re-try this mechanism.  I did not have much success when I tried it in the past, but my settings were probably in a mess.

Best regards

John Edwin in exile in Slovakia.

38 minutes ago, KitKat1947 said:

I did not have much success when I tried it in the past, but my settings were probably in a mess.

Yeah, there are a lot of variables, and the more realistic it should be, the more complex it gets.

E.g. if you'd need perspective shadows, you'd have to clone the object, apply perspective distortion to it, blur, colorize or overlay as grayscale. All can be done non-destructively. Also, hierarchy of effects as well as layer nesting mode matter. Just do experiment for yourself.
Here I have converted the shield copy to grayscale channel via Level adjustment which makes it appear as if the TATRA logotype was transparent: *)

aph_shadow_effect2.png.5c13f029a32e99f1a5bbc21601c3df14.png

*) Of course, it's just a "quick'n'dirty" example, so the shadow is not very realistic yet, when compared to the kids' shadows below.

38 minutes ago, KitKat1947 said:

in exile in Slovakia

Ah, I see. So you nehovoríš po slovensky. :)

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Hi Loukash,  There is always more than one way to skin the cat...........  I have definitely been making a mess up in the past with my drop shadow work.  is there a link to your video so I don't have to og in to the forum group every time I need to refresh my grey cells on the settings and procedure.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Best regards  John Edwin in Banska Bystrica Slovakia.

5 minutes ago, KitKat1947 said:

is there a link to your video

It's been uploaded to Serif's server, the direct download link is https://forum.affinity.serif.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=178040

6 minutes ago, KitKat1947 said:

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Well, I'm literally learning by doing as well.
I've always been more of a layout, typography and vector designer, even though for the job I've always needed to have a pixel editor as well. But even after ±25 years Photoshop I still only have touched the surface of what can be done. Affinity Photo is a good tool to dive deeper into the subject, even though it lacks some of the more advanced tools which my Photoshop CS5 from almost a decade ago has.

Also, make sure to check out the Affinity tutorial videos, they are really helpful:
affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/desktop

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2