You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating complex composit images

I have been using PhotoPlus for years to compose my books about stamp collecting. The most important aspect has been the construction of visual index to flaws found on certain stamps. I have attached a PDF showing how I do this in PhotoPlus. I have not been able to figure out how to do the same thing in Affinity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

visual index.pdf

It is about the same procedure. Note that you have to rasterize imported layer to be able to remove extra area. I would also use difference transfer mode to set layer exactly to right place (layer turns black when pixels match). Arrowhead is available only with Context Toolbar as AP does not have Stroke panel (I might do labeling with layout app but that is personal taste, merits and drawbacks...).

I am sorry but I do not understand even how to start what you describe, never mind carry it out. For instance, when I drag and drop the cutting to a background in Affinity, I cannot move it to the correct position: it sticks to the background and when I try to move it, the background moves with it. Also, I have no idea what rasterize means nor how to accomplish it. I figured out each step in PhotoPlus by myself through trial and error because I found it intuitive. I cannot even get started with Affinity. I know nothing about graphic terminology. I have no idea at all what you are talking about in your second sentence.  What I need are step by step instructions similar to those in my PDF.

I appreciate your addressing my problem. Thanks for trying.

Mark

Hello @Hradcany, and welcome to the forums.

When you create an image (note the small 'i') in Affinity Photo it could be either a (Pixel) image or an (Image) image. (Confusing I know.). You can tell what sort you have by looking at the image layer in the Layers panel. An (Image ) file will have (Image) as part of the layer label, A (Pixel) image will have (Pixel) as part ofthe layer label.

Image files can only be manipulated an a single entity. If you want to cut and paste parts of the image, it needs to be a (Pixel) file. To convert an (Image) file to a (Pixel) file you need to Rasterize it. Use Layer > Rasterize or Layer > Rasterize & Trim.

Once you have converted your image layer to a (Pixel) image, you should be able to cut out bits from one image and paste them onto another.

Hope this helps,

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi John,

I tried. but once I drag and drop, even after rasterizing, the cut off piece remains  stuck.

I have attached the four items (1) Master -- I want to add the flaw to it. (2) The flawed stamp -- I take a clipping from it. (3) The clipping from the flawed stamp I want to add to the master. (4) what Affinity looks like after I have rasterized -- the clipping layer and the background are stuck together and trying to move the clipping moves the clipping and the master together. I know I must be missing something simple here, but I do not know what it is.

Thanks,

Mark

master.jpg

flawed stamp.jpg

flawed clipping.jpg

test.jpg

• Staff

Hi Hradcany,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To move the top layer (I'm using the screenshot you posted right above my reply here as reference) switch to the Move Tool (the black arrow below the hand icon currently selected in the screenshot), then click on the layer on the canvas and drag it to position it where you need. You can change the Opacity of that layer on the top of the Layers panel  to 42 to help positioning it precisely over the Master image then set the opacity of that layer back to 100% again. To delete the parts you don't want from that layer switch to the Erase Brush Tool (shortcut E) and erase everything except the dot you want to keep.

The View Tool (the hand icon) you have selected simply pans the whole workspace, it doesn't move object/layers.

I loaded the two stamp images into Photo. I used the Rectangular Marquee tool (M) to select the flawed area, then copied it (Ctrl-C). I then moved to the Master stamp and pasted it there (Ctrl-V) and used the Move tool (V) to position it.

No problems.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630