You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Tool - Can't adjust midpoint

Hello

I noticed the same bug I reported a year back 

I'm creating a Gradient in a pixel layer and I can't adjust the midpoint. I drag the interactive slider in the work area but it doesn't work as expected.

It looks I can adjust it numerically in the tool bar. It modifies it in the toolbar but the changes won't reflect in the work area.

So in short: No way to adjust the mid point in any gradient.

thanks

P.D. I'm using the latest version of Photo ( not the beta) and MacOs latest version in an iMac 2015

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched one of your New Video Tutorials.(Ivan Weiss and LUT packs) and noticed he was applying a gradient masking on one of the adjustment layers he created.

I saw that he adjusted the gradient midpoint with no problem. I tried it also in 1.9.2 and this works as expected on Adjustment Layers (using the gradient tool) 

But the bug I'm reporting is only noticeable in a new Pixel Layer. There it won't work.

Hope this helps the developers pinpoint the problem.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Hello

Just checked and the Gradient bug is still in the 1.9.3 update

Played with it more and iIt looks like only the Linear gradient is not working correctly. ( Unfortunately  for me it's the only one I use 😀)

Radial, eliptical and conical gradients work ok

thanks

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

• Staff

Hi velarde,
V1.9.3 was a minor update to fix a few outstanding issues. The gradient midpoint issue remains open.

From my testing seems this issue only affects RGB/8 documents. Can you please try to convert yours to RGB/16 (or another colour format) and check if it works for you? Thank you.

• Staff

Hi velarde,
No, RGB/8 it's not outdated. I just wanted to confirm if it was working for you in RGB/16 (or other colour formats). I've updated our report accordingly. This is indeed something that must be fixed. Working in RGB/16 is just a workaround so you can keep working/using the Gradient Tool.

4 hours ago, velarde said:

Should I use 16 now...?  I've always worked on RGB/8 for all my work. Is this mode outdated?

RGB 8 is what jpeg and gif use, it is not going anywhere. The advantage to working in 8 bits is small file size, working in 16 bits gives a smoother range of colours with a larger file size. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Designer1234,
This is a know issue that's already logged to be looked at. It only affect gradients applied to pixel layers in RGB/8 documents (with Hardware acceleration enabled). If you convert the document to RGB/16 (or another colour format) it will work correctly. Thanks for your feedback.

• 10 months later...