You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.4)

Thanks for the "Lock Children" options. No more moving them outside the clipping shape and then back again :)

But a modifier key would be much more helpful for this. What if holding Alt with the Move tool would lock the children for the time of moving/resizing (no matter of what the status of the checkbox is)?

Thanks for considering ;)

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Just tried exporting a CMYK book cover design as PDF/X-1a, and the export progress bar shows up just for a second, seems to process in an instant then disappear, but the file is not saving. I'm able to export as PDF for print, but not PDF/X. I can send a file over if that helps.

• Staff

Just tried exporting a CMYK book cover design as PDF/X-1a, and the export progress bar shows up just for a second, seems to process in an instant then disappear, but the file is not saving. I'm able to export as PDF for print, but not PDF/X. I can send a file over if that helps.

If you could send us a file to support@seriflabs.com that would be great - we can take a look at what's happening and try to sort it out, thanks! :)

Hello,

Still having huge difficulty with exports. Every export is slow. PDF/SVG/EPS files take 5-15 minutes to export and are generally faulty in some way. Raster format exports are okay, but taking significantly longer than expected. 

Blue progress bar doesn't show.

Sent files to support.

Hi,
I print some example with pantone. One file with Illustrator, one file with Affinity.

I use a Digital press, with In-Rip pantone color conversion. Exactly the same conversion. for the first beta, it's perfect ! 

i have an request, it's possible to add a search tool (like for pantone) for every swatches we create ? because sometime, it's very hard to find an color ! 

post-734-0-40001100-1444982814_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-52885000-1444982818_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-89764000-1444983112_thumb.png

Clém !

Agree with Clem. You need to add an another colorimetric mode : Solid color

We got a Pantone but in its attributes, it can be CMYK, Lab, TSL, etc.

I am new to Affinity's products, just getting used to the interface and tools. Loving it so far. As for spot color support, this is where stuff gets really tricky. Some people are doing really exotic stuff, such as vector art with spot corporate color (Pantone or otherwise) with images with extra spot channels with that corporate color, or replacing one of the CMYK channels in an image with a spot channel. It isn't terribly often, but its enough that prepress departments will point to it when deciding what they support natively. I am very interested in seeing how spot colors get supported in these applications (like what happens when an exported PDF hits a prepress workflow like Rampage). I am going to focus my testing to see how the new Pantone library works in color separation and accuracy for CMYK separation.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for this new Beta that looks really promising :)!

I have just tested the user defined rotation center new function and I have a suggestion and two bugs to report:

- First I read that it can be used in conjunction with Cmd + J. So I pressed Alt as I moved the handler so that it gets duplicated. However it only worked once, now pressing Alt doesn't duplicate the item anymore (making the Cmd + J function useless in this situation).

- Second, I wish there could be a way to rotate the object around the newly defined center without moving the object. For example let's say I have a star that I duplicate. Right now if I move the star around that new center then the star is also rotated compared to my first star (I don't know if this is understandable...).

- Last, when I try to snap the new rotation center to the overlapping point of two guides it is not really precise (if I zoom in, the rotation center is not perfectly aligned with my guides).

I'll have a try at the other new features, I am excited :)!

• Staff

Hello Etienne,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1) You can't interrupt the ⌘ (cmd) + J operation (power duplicate) to perform other operations. It must be sequential. I'm not sure what you trying to achieve but if you give us more details we may be able to help.

2) This may be available later through other tools that are planned (Blend tool/blend along a path). Please check Affinity Designer 's roadmap for more info.

3) This is a known issue that's already logged. It should be fixed soon.

Do you mean something like this?

There is already a new beta (1.3.5.5) available https://s3.amazonaws.com/affinity-beta/download/Affinity+Designer+Customer+Beta.dmg

Yes exactly! But I talked a bit too quick, Affinity Designer calculates the rotation angle and apply it in the Transform panel so that it's really easy to go back to 0° angle. This is genius and in my opinion the best way to do it :)!

Hello Etienne,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1) You can't interrupt the ⌘ (cmd) + J operation (power duplicate) to perform other operations. It must be sequential. I'm not sure what you trying to achieve but if you give us more details we may be able to help.

2) This may be available later through other tools that are planned (Blend tool/blend along a path). Please check Affinity Designer 's roadmap for more info.

3) This is a known issue that's already logged. It should be fixed soon.

Thank you MEB and thanks for your answers :)!

Regarding my first question what I usually do is :

- First I move an object and press the alt key at the same time so that it's a copy of my object that get moved and the object itself ;

- Then I press ⌘ (cmd) + J so that my object is duplicated and moved automatically (it's pretty useful when creating patterns for example).

So I am trying to do the exact same thing with the new rotation center function but the first step is not working (if I press the alt key while rotating my object it is not copied but only moved). Is it more clear?

I just fired up the beta today. (Been busy lately... sorry I hadn't gotten to this faster.) As promised, I am looking at color separation only. I am using Acrobat Pro as my sepration engine, as it is kind of the gold standard to how all RIPs/prepress workflows must function (If its OK in Acrobat Pro, it better work in your $100,000 prepress workflow).

That said, my first test shows some problems. I drew a simple closed Bezier path, filled it with PANTONE 286 C, and stroked it with PANTONE 485 C. I then exported it to PDF using the Print, PDF X-1a, PDF X-3, and PDF X-4 options. I made no changes to the presets.

In Acrobat Pro DC, all four exhibited the same basic problem. The stroke's spot color was honored, and appears correct in terms of on-screen color (I did not tell it to convert to CMYK and check to see if it matched PANTONE standards). However, the fill converted to what appears to be a CMYK breakdown of 485 C, and is not 286 C in any way.

Please see the attached screenshot. This shows the original document next to one of the exported PDFs. Note the ink build on the separation palette in Acrobat where the mouse is hovering... that is what Acrobat says the fill is after export.

Hope this helps!

post-19634-0-12534900-1446058337_thumb.png

Just noticed a link in a post above to a new beta. How can I be notified (actively or passively) of new betas? Is there a page I can go to to download new betas? Or is there a mailing list I can get on that will let me know when betas are out so I can be testing on the latest? I really like this software, and want to help make it the best it can be. Thanks!

EDIT: Testing using the latest beta exhibit the same issues with color separation I mentioned in the post about the previous beta.

In Acrobat Pro DC, all four exhibited the same basic problem. The stroke's spot color was honored, and appears correct in terms of on-screen color (I did not tell it to convert to CMYK and check to see if it matched PANTONE standards). However, the fill converted to what appears to be a CMYK breakdown of 485 C, and is not 286 C in any way.

Thanks. I see what is going wrong. I'll try to get it fixed for the next beta.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.