You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It's not always empty – it's the place where the vertical scroll bar appears when the contents don't fit into the Layers panel with its current height. Granted, I don't know why the column is always visible given that other panels do behave differently indeed. For example, both the Channels and the Adjustment panel in Affinity Photo hide the scroll bar area entirely as long as it's not needed. Also, from what I can see, Serif applications don't respect the "Show scroll bars" setting of macOS under System Preferences > General.

3 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

It's not always empty – it's the place where the vertical scroll bar appears when the contents don't fit into the Layers panel with its current height. Granted, I don't know why the column is always visible given that other panels do behave differently indeed. For example, both the Channels and the Adjustment panel in Affinity Photo hide the scroll bar area entirely as long as it's not needed. Also, from what I can see, Serif applications don't respect the "Show scroll bars" setting of macOS under System Preferences > General.

Yes exactly 

Also, from what I can see, Serif applications don't respect the "Show scroll bars" setting of macOS under System Preferences > General.

I just noticed that when you're on macOS, you can make the area in question disappear by setting System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars to "When scrolling".

9 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Also, from what I can see, Serif applications don't respect the "Show scroll bars" setting of macOS under System Preferences > General.

I just noticed that when you're on macOS, you can make the area in question disappear by setting System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars to "When scrolling".

Didn't work for me actually it added an extra column :) and even when putting scrolling back to based on mouse this extra column didn't go away !

any Affinity support guys here ?

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 2.14.31 PM.png

1 hour ago, Ammar said:

any Affinity support guys here ?

They're around, but very busy. When they get to this topic, if they have anything to add to the user responses, they will add it then :)

From the top of this forum:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

They're around, but very busy. When they get to this topic, if they have anything to add to the user responses, they will add it then :)

From the top of this forum:

OK Thanks Allot 

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Why do you have a problem with it?

It's just reserved for the scrollbar, for when you have more layers than fit in the dialog.
You don't want it it appearing/disappearing every time you open or close a group. That's seriously annoying.

this kind of UI is typical Photoshop which many doesn't like.

This just makes absolutely no sense at all and is based on nothing but your own imagination.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2021 at 4:13 PM, Xzenor said:

Why do you have a problem with it?

It's just reserved for the scrollbar, for when you have more layers than fit in the dialog.
You don't want it it appearing/disappearing every time you open or close a group. That's seriously annoying.

This just makes absolutely no sense at all and is based on nothing but your own imagination.

I think transparent scroll bars can appear when scrolling and auto hide on the right side like Apple Pages for example without the need for preserved area. It would be more neat.

• 1 year later...

I think this scroll bar should not even exist. It brakes my nerves. It makes it awfully hard to hide/show objets in the layers panel. I think is one of the thing I hate the most in AD. If only I could at least disable it. Does anyone really use that? 

Maybe in older versions at least it wasn't getting all the time in the way when hovering over that area? It looks so looking at the first post image but I can't really remember but really the way it is now is totally annoying to me.

I can't find this to get rid of it >> System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars to "When scrolling".

----

It worked now. It worked even if I will have the scroll bars all over my system forever more 😶

On 5/11/2022 at 3:39 PM, IsabelAracama said:

I think this scroll bar should not even exist. It brakes my nerves. It makes it awfully hard to hide/show objets in the layers panel. I think is one of the thing I hate the most in AD. If only I could at least disable it. Does anyone really use that? 

Maybe in older versions at least it wasn't getting all the time in the way when hovering over that area? It looks so looking at the first post image but I can't really remember but really the way it is now is totally annoying to me.

I can't find this to get rid of it >> System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars to "When scrolling".

----

It worked now. It worked even if I will have the scroll bars all over my system forever more 😶

That’s great :)