You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shapes Export to SVG (Flatten Transforms)

I have found an issue with exporting to SVG using Export Persona.

If I create a shape with the pen tool, duplicate and flip it, my cutting machine will only see the first shape, not the second one in the exported SVG. To get around this, I tick the Flatten Transforms in the options box. This works fine.

However, the shapes I created and converted to curves (see layers) revert back to shapes in the resulting SVG file. If you open in a text editor, it can be seen that the ellipse and rectangle, although curves in the layers panel, export as shapes so my cutting machine ignores them.

The only way around this I've found is to open the SVG in Inkscape, convert objects to paths, resave and reimport into Designer. I'm sure this should not happen?

See files attached.

Using 1.9.1.979.

Issue with Shapes.afdesign Issue with Shapes.svg

• Staff

Hi akamii,

What cutting machine and software are you using to import the SVG? Unfortunately I don't have any to try this with, however with regards to the first part you could reversing the curve's direction using the node tool on the flipped shape to see if the cutting software prefers that?

Unfortunately with regards to the second this is not currently possible - the exporter will force out shapes where possible to minimize the file size of the SVG. Whilst very useful to most web uses, this is particularly frustrating in others. This is something we do have logged with development, so I will get your comments passed on to development.

In the meantime, whilst a bit 'hacky' you could just click to insert a single node on both of those shapes - this will force the exporter to no longer see it as a shape and then export it out as a proper path.

Morning

Thank you for your quick response.

I’m using Cricut Design Space with Cricut Maker and also converting the SVG into .dxf in Inkscape and testing in Silhouette Basic Edition software. Both programs throw out shapes in the resulting files.

I have tried selecting the 2nd path (the copy and flipped one) and selecting Reverse Cuves but it didn’t make any difference. That’s when someone else suggested flatten transforms as it appears the Cricut software is not reading the transform part correctly.

I will try your hack tonight after work. A button at export to convert shapes would be really useful. A lot of crafters are using AD to create cut files so it would be good to have the option. 

Hi

So Reverse Curves did not work. At all. I selected the whole path, part of the path, a node - and the cutting machine still did not like. I think it bit it was falling over on was the 'transform' part of the coding. The only way to get around this is Flatten Transforms in the Export persona.

I also created a shape, converted to curves and added a single node to that shape. That did work. It exported as a path and the cutting machine saw it as a path so the hack worked. Just need to remember to do it! 🙂

• Staff
15 hours ago, akamii said:

Hi

So Reverse Curves did not work. At all. I selected the whole path, part of the path, a node - and the cutting machine still did not like. I think it bit it was falling over on was the 'transform' part of the coding. The only way to get around this is Flatten Transforms in the Export persona.

I also created a shape, converted to curves and added a single node to that shape. That did work. It exported as a path and the cutting machine saw it as a path so the hack worked. Just need to remember to do it! 🙂

That's unfortunate the Curve Direction didn't solve it - the only other thing I can suggest is instead of flipping the actual shape (i.e with the bounding box), is to select all the nodes in the object and flip those. That way there shouldn't be any transforms on the object itself.

However this does sound more like an issue with Cricut's importer, so you may want to let them know.