You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using the most recent version from the Mac App Store & for some reason I cannot crop. Specifically I cannot click & adjust the crop handles in either the Photo or Develop Personas.I click & hold on the track pad, nothing. I double, triple click, nothing. It is driving me round the bend. Is it a glitch or am I doing something stupid?

12 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @Andy Hackney and Welcome to the Forums,

Are you still having trouble with the Crop Tool?

I'd suggest giving the Crop Tutorial a watch just so you can confirm you are using it correctly :) 

Thanks. I did watch that & others before posting. The "Click/Drag" just does not work. The handles don't move. I can resize by changing values in the dimensions box above. But that is not ideal.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:22 PM, Andy Hackney said:

I click & hold on the track pad, nothing.

There was a similar issue recently. Apparently the "quick solution" was using a mouse:

I haven't encountered any such issues with my "antique" 2012 MacBookPro, but – @stokerg: I'd suspect there could be a connection to the force click trackpad settings in System Preferences and how Affinity handles such input, as already suggested in that thread.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 year later...

I have noticed the same problem, not consistently, and my cropping is usually done after scanning a document on my scanner. Cropping is usually the first thing I do. I am using a Magic Trackpad 2 on my Mac with Monterey. Today I scanned a document, and left the acquire image screen open in the background. With it open, I was unable to crop, but after closing the window, I could. At other times. I have left the acquire image window open and had no problem. Sometimes I can crop with the top handles on an image but not the bottom ones. Holding down the left shift key helps. The crop tool isn't totally broken, but it doesn't work consistently.

Is there a way to log success and failure and gain further insight into the problem?  I would really like to understand what is going on.