You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to resize a layer without making the edges blurry?

If I have a layer like so:

1904450747_Capturedecran2021-03-15a16_10_48.png.f665698fd1151280e33de2f27bf79cbb.png

And if I try to transform it, it will get blurry edges like so:

1708460688_Capturedecran2021-03-15a16_11_07.png.916c81cb466a7355bc8777e33de149b9.png

I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent this from happening?

So far I've found on the forum a "solution", which is to change the view quality. It works in the editor, but as soon as the image is exported the blurry edges are back.

Another solution I've found is to stack 5 times the same layer so that the transparency goes away. It works but that's a bit ridiculous and it's particularly tedious when you need to resize multiple layers.

So is there any actual solution to this?

Looks like you are transforming a pixel selection. Enlarge a Pixel and it will have that weird edge happening.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

What is missing is a "scale-up" by natural numbers which simply repeats each pixel instead of interpolating (smoothing).

The same is required for scale-down: allow to choose every x pixel instead of averaging.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

22 minutes ago, laurent22 said:

There's a selection on that screenshot, but I'm actually enlarging the layer (not a selection). I've just tried again with no active selection, and it still does it.

I've attached a sample file showing the issue. Simply select the layer, then resize it horizontally and you'll see the blurry edge.

SampleResize.afphoto 9.82 kB · 0 downloads

I've previously posted this method to stretch the layer and remove the feathering of the alpha. It definitely does work if you follow the instructions carefully.

1. Activate Move Tool and select the unstretched layer.
  2. Cmd+click the layer's thumbnail in Layers panel to get a pixel selection marquee (marching ants) around it.
  3. Stretch the layer - the marquee will grow with the layer. The marquee is essential so do not remove it.
  4. In Channels panel, click the Composite Alpha thumbnail so that the RGB channels become hidden and non-editable.
  5. Ensure the primary colour is opaque and do Edit > Fill With Primary Colour (or use the secondary colour if you prefer) to eliminate the feathering of the layer's alpha.
  6. Click the circular arrow at top right of Channels Panel to restore all channels to visible and editable.
  7. Now the marquee can be removed.

• 2 years later...

@MEB Any idea when this is going to get resolved? It still doesn't work properly in 2023 with AP v2.0.4. This is one of the most basic things you can do within Photoshop. It's disappointing that AP doesn't allow you to simply enlarge a selection without feathering the edges. This issue and other issues like Fill with Primary/Secondary colour not working properly, really makes it hard to persist with using AP.