You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OpenCL Acceleration Crashes Graphics Driver (Intel UHD Graphics 620)

Using both the release version AND latest beta (1.9.2.1005) of Affinity Photo will sometimes crash the graphics driver on my HP Laptop when OpenCL acceleration is used.

This is (unfortunately) not repeatable.  E.g. - I've just successfully run 3 benchmarks, but on the 4th it crashed.

It's an HP Probook 450 G6. 

• CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U. 
  • GPU is Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
  • I'm using the latest Intel (not HP) video drivers, version 27.20.100.9316 (2/18/2021).
  • Windows version is 20H2 (Build 19042.867)

When the graphics driver crashes, Affinity Photo just hangs.  The only way to recover that I've found is to shut it down via Task Manager.

I get the following in the Event Log related to the driver crash:

• Event ID 4101 - Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Nothing seems to be logged in \AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports (or the equivalent directory for the release version).

Thanks for anything that can be done to make this work better.  Turning off OpenCL seems the only solution for me at the moment.

May I suggest you to go back to a previous drivers release?
Intel HD 620 drivers download
It's a 27.20.100.9168 version - just install it over one you have.

I'm suggesting this as I'm using HD 630 and latest drivers (9316) are terrible on Win10 20H2 (19042.867) - constantly after each restart repeats partial install and more importantly crashed Topaz AI plugins (some nasty OpenGL2.0 crash) 

Reverting helped (I've tested that twice to be sure), maybe will do something for you also

@Mark Ingram Thanks for the reply.  I've attached the log file.  

It crashed twice for me this morning - but since your reply I've done all I can to make it misbehave and it's been perfect.  If/when it does crash again I'll send the dump.

@krbo Thanks for the driver suggestion.  I use Topaz labs (denoise, sharpen and gigapixel) pretty extensively, bith as plug-ins to Affinity Photo and as standalones.  This current driver has given me no issues at all with using them.  The previous one did.  The fun of computers, eh?  Makes me glad I'm not a programmer / in QA!  Tracking down bugs must be a nightmare when experiences differ so.  If I ever manage to get the crashing to be repeatable (or at least find a way of triggering it a bit more frequently than at present) then I'll try rolling back to the version you suggest.

Log.txt

I managed to get the Beta to crash again this morning on a Benchmark run.  It displayed the first two results (Vector Single & Vector Multi), then hung before anything else was displayed.  Same errors in event log as in my first post.  The .exe was pegged at a fairly constant ~28% CPU usage and 0% GPU usage in task manager prior to writing the dump files and terminating it.  I gave it what turned out top be around 8 mins from when the "Display driver igfx stopped responding" was logged in Event Viewer just to make sure it was definitely crashed...

The dump file (2.6 GB!) is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yn0pz0vrtnsx01/Photo.DMP?dl=0

Not sure if it was needed, but the dump from the crashhandler is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5ladsi58l4p57d/crashpad_handler.DMP?dl=0

Let me know when you've managed to grab them, as I could do with the space back in my DropBox.

Good luck!

Edited by FuzzyIan
More info added,

1 hour ago, FuzzyIan said:

I managed to get the Beta to crash again this morning on a Benchmark run.  It displayed the first two results (Vector Single & Vector Multi), then hung before anything else was displayed.  Same errors in event log as in my first post.  The .exe was pegged at a fairly constant ~28% CPU usage and 0% GPU usage in task manager prior to writing the dump files and terminating it.  I gave it what turned out top be around 8 mins from when the "Display driver igfx stopped responding" was logged in Event Viewer just to make sure it was definitely crashed...

The dump file (2.6 GB!) is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yn0pz0vrtnsx01/Photo.DMP?dl=0

Not sure if it was needed, but the dump from the crashhandler is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5ladsi58l4p57d/crashpad_handler.DMP?dl=0

Let me know when you've managed to grab them, as I could do with the space back in my DropBox.

Good luck!

I've downloaded them, but not inspected them yet, if you'd like to clear your Dropbox account 🙂

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.