You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Now I like Publisher so much that I only work with it even though I have InDesign and QuarkXpress. The only big problem is separation preview. At the moment I am creating print PDF in Publisher, then exporting PDF to InDesign and switching on the separation preview. I really miss the feature! Otherwise it would be a great tool!

Another workaround is processing the PDF via Ghostscript.
See

… and ff. in the same thread, including a new experimental separation preview app based on Ghostscript currently being developed by @Lagarto.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, Fixx said:

Sep preview should be checked with PDF output as export to PDF process can itself change plates content, especially in Affinity.

I didn't understand that now. What do you have in common with it? In Publisher you cannot make separated PDF, only composite.

1 minute ago, akula7 said:

I didn't understand that now

Depending on how your document colors are defined (CMYK, RGB, spot), how they interact (overprint, transparencies) and how your PDF export preset is set up (color space, profile conversion, color conversion, honor spot colors etc.), you may end up with with all colors converted to composite CMYK.
This is not necessarily a bug, although there seem to be a few of them as well. But in general, Affinity apps just execute what they've been "told".

That said, it's rather complex and not exactly self-explanatory to set up correctly, so you should be knowing what you're doing.
I've been going through dozens of export scenarios in the past few weeks, inspecting each one in Acrobat X to better understand what Affinity PDF export – in particular PDF/X-3 – does and trying to separate features from "features" and from bugs.

Yep, it's a pain in the ass. InDesign is definitely more predictable and straightforward in what comes out.

See also, for example:

On the other hand, if you follow certain strict rules, it's relatively easy to create e.g. "old school" duotone or tritone layouts fully within Affinity workflow. (Unless you have duotone EPS files created by Photoshop; you will need Photoshop to correctly convert them back to original grayscale and to look up their duotone adjustment curves, if any. No other app that I'm aware of can do that.)
The exported "duotone" PDF/X will also contain CMY plates though, so you will have to tell your print guy to ignore them.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2