You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

8 minutes ago, Marv Sanchez said:

The image does not look like as shot.

What are you comparing it with?  The image displayed by the camera is an embedded jpeg rather than a processed RAW file.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

A RAW image opened in Affinity Photo will generally not look the same as you might see in the preview in your digital camera, or in the software provided by your camera manufacturer, or in a JPG created by the camera. It will need some adjustment in the Develop Persona.

Can you tell us the camera you're using, and provide one of its RAW images? And also let us know what you're comparing it to to determine that it's dark and dull?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the help. I am using a EOS RP and shooting in RAW. The software I am using is Lightroom and Canon Digital Photo Profesional 4; when I edit in those two programs, the image gets imported as shot and it doesn't lose color.  When I import to Affinity, it loses color and looks dark and dull.

Hi,

please check the Histogram.

If you see a normal brightness distribution (having some relevant contribution on the right side): Check for settings rendering issues (see below).

RAW file issues: Otherwise, the RAW file is severly under-exposed and needs adjustments on Exposure, Brightness, or Curves to achieve a normal level.

Rendering issues:

• Do you have a HDR / EDR capable display? Then ou might need to activate the "32bit Preview" panel in studio, and adjust adjust Esposure and/or Gamma. I would suggest to disable "32 bit Preview" unless you really need it and are familiar with it.
  • Color Profile issues - see turorials and Q&A regardiang this topic.

image.png.7901ed336834ae85cc0f5119c44b3c6e.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

20 minutes ago, Marv Sanchez said:

The software I am using is Lightroom and Canon Digital Photo Profesional 4; when I edit in those two programs, the image gets imported as shot and it doesn't lose color.  

The Canon software will certainly understand their RAW image data, and the camera's shooting modes, and will by default show exactly what the camera preview would show.

Affinity is showing the actual raw data, except as influenced by the generic tone curve you asked the Develop Assistant to apply.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Every RAW converter interprets RAW files differently. RAW files are not finished images but just raw data. Different apps show more or less different results because they have to interpret the raw data as a preview how they think the image should look until you save it as an image file (tif, jpeg...). How the result looks depends on how the developers of the app (LR, C1, Photo...) programmed the support for your camera's raw files. If Photo shows a result that is drastically different as others, perhaps the files of the Canon RP aren't supported yet or not in a way that looks pleasing. There must be a list of supported cameras somewhere.

What you can do now is adjust the exposure, contrast, saturation etc to your liking and save it as a preset. If it looks just dull, it might be sufficient to make a slight s-curve in the "Tones" panel and save just that curve as a preset. You can then apply that preset for every raw file you open.

7 hours ago, user_0815 said:

If Photo shows a result that is drastically different as others, perhaps the files of the Canon RP aren't supported yet or not in a way that looks pleasing. There must be a list of supported cameras somewhere.

The list of supported cameras is here - it includes the EOS RP.  I downloaded a few RAW files from DP Review and there were no problems with them.  The images were a bit soft, but the exposure was ok and they only needed a bit of clarity to produce an acceptable image.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

@Marv Sanchez, can you please make a test shot of any suitable object, use RAW+JPEG, and upload both images in a zip file (to avoid changes of images by the forum upload software).

Canon RAW has multiple variations, and the issue you reported may be aligned to the specific choice of parameters used.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Both files open perfectly fine, and match within the expected limits of RAW / JPEG.

In addition, i have cross-checked with Canon DPP, which shows again very similar results when opening bith files.

Photo 1.9.1, on Windows 10.

Please check the following settings:

• Development Assistant (compare settings)
    • 32 bit mode will lead to dull results, as no gamma tone curve is applied!
  • Studio->32 Bit Preview (disable 32 bit preview!)
  • Histogram should look similar
  • Your OS Settings for color profile
  • Your Monitor brightness settings, Color Profile, WhitePoint etc

image.png.eab30fa7db4ad4aef8341ff9af8bb3f3.png

•  

image.png.093eb03936722ca41fcd4c3e50619701.png

image.png.71d63935fcbe914bf066426aa56b9d11.png

IMG_1196both.JPG

IMG_1196dpp.JPG