You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke bugs

On 3/17/2021 at 8:23 PM, ticalion said:

only those two objects that behave strangely after expanding stroke

You have extra nodes on the path that are causing this. You must zoom in like… 25,000,000 % (!) to see them:

You may need to clean up the nodes by some means to fix that.

Edited by loukash
replaced *.mov with *.mp4

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Ideally, we'll get an intelligent simplify path option in a future release 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Just now, Dazmondo77 said:

we'll get an intelligent simplify path option in a future release

Yeah. And the hope is that it will happen during our remaining lifespan… (If "77" is your year of birth, you have a slightly better chance than I do ;))

By the way, I just couldn't let go yet and was toying with the example file since the last 20 minutes again. Even after cleaning up the nodes and converting to outline, the outline again creates random redundand nodes that are a mere few µm distance.

It is a bug, and it seems to me that it always boils down to those ever faulty boolean operations. :/

@Sean P, please, tell the devs that fixing boolean operations must become the absolute top priority. This is maddening. thanks

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thanks for pointing that. I think I've made corners like that using the corner tool or the other new corner tool. Can't recall which one now since it was some time ago. I never zoomed more than 2500% to realize that there is more than one node.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:29 PM, ticalion said:

I think I've made corners like that using the corner tool or the other new corner tool.

In fact, for this kind of simple shape you'd need no more than two nodes:

Edited by loukash
replaced *.mov with *.mp4

33 minutes ago, loukash said:

In fact, for this kind of simple shape you'd need no more than two nodes:

In fact, for that particular shape you don’t even need to use the Pen Tool. You can use the Crescent Tool instead.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

33 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You can use the Crescent Tool instead.

Why not, if that's the exact curve you're after.
Blue: crescent
Red: 2-node curve

ade_crescent_vs_curve.png.730dc4950c6461768c556488546816b4.png

• 6 months later...

I'm a new Affinity designer user.

I'm in this very instant trying to solve a similar issue.

On Illustrator, to prevent this from happening, I first turn it into a compound path and only then I'd expand or punch out from another object. That seemed to work really well on complex shapes, but I'm still struggling to solve this here -  the solutions above are not ok because you might want to use lots of points for a complex shape.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 9:38 AM, loukash said:

@Sean P, please, tell the devs that fixing boolean operations must become the absolute top priority. This is maddening. thanks

+1

Not to be a grump about it, but my last post about boolean operations (still unresolved) was November 2020, but problems were first reported September 2014 (also still unresolved). Image below showing a multitude of extraneous curves after using divide, just to make the point, again!

Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 10.35.54.png

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...

Expand Stroke bug,

Affinity Designer Version 1.10.5
System macOS 11.6.5

Simple packaging diecut, stroke 11pt to expand background for bleeds,
Expand stroke and here it is a bug. Instead of simple bezier curves there is a lot of mess.

But I investigated the issue and everything is fine when the curve is clean without any additional points.
This is the result of double points in the same place, mess in the curves.

Make sure that your curves are always clean and tidy.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 10.42.39.png

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 10.42.51.png

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 10.48.47.png

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 10.48.53.png