You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am playing around with TOC in Publisher and want to create a rather big PDF file with lots of pages which should be more accessible with bookmarks.

I created a very simple document to try this out. Just put a few pages with text and headings and a TOC. Works as expected, TOC is clickable in the PDF but the bookmarks are wrong. Several of my TOC entries are duplicated as bookmarks. If I look in the Anchors pallet, the problem is there, also. Although I can delete the double anchors there, they show up again when I update the TOC.

Any way to get a correct PDF?

Can you upload your sample .afpub file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not the Thread opener, but I think I have the same problem. I observed that if you make changes to your headings, the old versions of your headings still appear as bookmarks.

In the screenshot you see the Table of content, which is correct. The first part of the PDF-bookmarks on the left is also correct, but the additional entries are all referring to old versions of the headings. Observe for instance the bookmark "This heading once had another text" in the attached example.

I tried to delete and recreate the Tabele of contents and temporarily disabled and reenabled bookmark creation on export - no help.

BTW, I'm using the standard preset "PDF (for export)" and my Publisher version is 1.9.2.1035 on Windows 10.

1961646068_ScreenshotBookmark-Problem.thumb.png.18a2bcc746fb454035c3b3bc31ea8e15.png

Bookmark-Problem.afpub

Bookmark-Problem.pdf

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @max1josef,

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, our team are working through a backlog of tickets so we appreciate your patience and understanding here.

I'd just like to confirm, is this an issue you are still having trouble with - or has this since been resolved by yourself? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Unfortunately the problem still exists and there is no way to fix this problem as a user, I guess. For the time being I disabled bookmarks in the PDF export settings.

I would like to use PDF bookmarks again, so a fix for this problem would be highly appreciated 👍

In the meantime I reposted this as a new thread, where there are already some new findings to this topic and your colleague @Jon P already replied.

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know, and for the link provided!

I can confirm this is logged with our developers as a bug, though there's unfortunately been no update to this issue as of yet.

I'll be sure to 'bump' this issue now with our developer for you :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hello,

I think I have the same problem with bookmarks. Then I disabled bookmarks in the PDF export settings. I would like to use PDF bookmarks again.

I have another problem : "Pos aiiis" is in front of "Conclusion" in the table of content. But in reality, it's the reverse (p.7). Do you know why ?

Please find attached my .afpub and exported .pdf

Tha .afpub is a clone but without confidential informations.

Do you know when it will be resolved ?

Thanks

dp_16-AFFINITY - light 2.afpub dp_16-AFFINITY - light 2.pdf

9 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

The text for "Pos aiiis" is below "Conclusion" in the layers panel. I am guessing this has some relevance.

Yes, it does.

Items lower in the layer stack are assumed to have been created earlier, and thus will appear higher in the TOC. This is the same behavior across all the applications. For example, Artboards lower in the layer stack will export before Artboards higher in the layer stack in Designer.

It's based on a painting metaphor. Consider a canvas, and you paint two strokes overlapping on it. Where they cross, you know that the one closer to the canvas (lower in the stack) was painted first.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Yes, for your file, "Conclusion" is above "Pos aiiis" in the layer stack.

Therefore, in the TOC, "Pos aiiis" is above "Conclusion", because items lower in the layer stack appear earlier in the TOC. @LondonSquirrel was (I think) suggesting you need to reverse them, and was showing them reversed to provide a visual aid.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, for your file, "Conclusion" is above "Pos aiiis" in the layer stack.

Therefore, in the TOC, "Pos aiiis" is above "Conclusion", because items lower in the layer stack appear earlier in the TOC. @LondonSquirrel was (I think) suggesting you need to reverse them, and was showing them reversed to provide a visual aid.

Sorry, my apologies. My post was very badly written. It was indeed to show an example of what to change.