You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, my name is Michael, i have a MacBook Pro with Affinity installed on it ,I am a beginner when it comes photo editing, I also have many old 35mm negatives and would like to preserve them with my current 

photographic collection , will Affinity be able to assist me in doing this and is there a tutorial to explain the procedure?

Regards Michael O’Grady 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Michael. :)

This thread may yield some helpful hints:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

APhoto is perfectly suited to retouching and restoring scans from 35mm film negatives or slides, just like any other image. So are other photo editing applications that compete with APhoto.

Just use a scanner designed to scan film negatives into positive images. There are relatively inexpensive flatbed scanners designed to scan film. In addition to the light source under the platen they have an additional light source in the lid for scanning through the film. Just search for film scanners. I'd suggest my Canon flatbed scanner but it appears to be discontinued with people now charging more than triple what I paid for mine a few years ago. The scanner market seems very competitive and turbulent. It may be shrinking as the majority of people alive today have never seen a film camera. They have no idea what a negative is. In fact the majority of people alive today don't even buy cameras because they have phones which do well enough for their purposes. That's why mid-price consumer cameras have almost vanished from the market and whole companies have withdrawn from the camera market. 

The best single resource I know for learning about scanning is Wayne Fulton's "A Few Scanning Tips" at
https://www.scantips.com

Wayne discusses scanning negatives at
https://www.scantips.com/basic13c.html

My advice for beginners is to plunge in and start. Don't think you'll do everything right at first. It's like learning to ice skate or ride a bicycle or lead climb. Falling is part of the learning process. If you buy the "wrong" product, just chalk it up to educational expenses. Confusion may reign in the beginning, but meaning and skill will eventually emerge if it is the hobby for you. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Usually a dedicated film scanner can do better than a flatbed. It has better resolution and density range (Dmax) (though negatives should be lower contrast than slides). You might find a used one cheap as demand is lessening all the time for them.

It is also possible to use a camera attachment to photograph negs, which should be quick, but turning them to positives is not so easy. Scanners have special software to make the conversion.