You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why when circular writing messy font ??

Welcome to the forum @iank25

I'm not sure what you have done with the top image but Affinity is more than capable of producing the same result as Illustrator with Text on a path/curve.

image.png.d0e7c42eeed7ed13c5612216098cf02e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@iank25

In your character panel change the Horizontal Scale setting from 25% to 100%. Then resize the text pt value (make it smaller) until it is the size you need

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

There are missing parameters in order for us to understand what you are trying to achieve...

1. Is the text supposed to be on an oval not a circle?
  2. Does the text need to be only half of the oval/circle, or can it go beyond a semi circular wrap?
  3. What is the width height of the oval?

Part of the problem is because you have the text on an oval not a circle; is this deliberate or should it be a circle? 

If it is supposed to be on an oval the width of the text isn't going to follow the curve of that oval as well as it would if it was a circular curve. Part of a solution to the oval issue would be to use a condensed font but you may still have to convert the text to curves and slightly rotate the character curves to look better. In my example below I used a font from 1001fonts called Built Titling it's a tall font.

Another part of your problem is taking into account the base line of the fonts height so simply typing 4.5cm in the font size will not get you a font that is visibly 4.5cm because part of that height is taken up with the base line. see image below. Again if there is a constraint with regard to the text being limited to the arc of 180º (semi circle) then the only other course of action would be to stretch the font using the vertical scale setting in the character panel.

If on the other hand the text can go beyond the 180º arc  then you need to find the height of the base line and add that to the height of the font, so in this case using the Built Titling font the base line was 1.09cm adding that to the height you actually want the visible font to be gets you an height of 5.59cm but even then you might need to tweak the font size to get an accurate actual height that touches the outer guide.

image.png.23e52d5eaa7839d962272443eb66733f.png

image.png.fb2df7f0506b7e91879c294aee93f507.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

There are missing parameters in order for us to understand what you are trying to achieve...

1. Is the text supposed to be on an oval not a circle?
  2. Does the text need to be only half of the oval/circle, or can it go beyond a semi circular wrap?
  3. What is the width height of the oval?

Part of the problem is because you have the text on an oval not a circle; is this deliberate or should it be a circle? 

If it is supposed to be on an oval the width of the text isn't going to follow the curve of that oval as well as it would if it was a circular curve. Part of a solution to the oval issue would be to use a condensed font but you may still have to convert the text to curves and slightly rotate the character curves to look better. In my example below I used a font from 1001fonts called Built Titling it's a tall font.

Another part of your problem is taking into account the base line of the fonts height so simply typing 4.5cm in the font size will not get you a font that is visibly 4.5cm because part of that height is taken up with the base line. see image below. Again if there is a constraint with regard to the text being limited to the arc of 180º (semi circle) then the only other course of action would be to stretch the font using the vertical scale setting in the character panel.

If on the other hand the text can go beyond the 180º arc  then you need to find the height of the base line and add that to the height of the font, so in this case using the Built Titling font the base line was 1.09cm adding that to the height you actually want the visible font to be gets you an height of 5.59cm but even then you might need to tweak the font size to get an accurate actual height that touches the outer guide.

image.png.23e52d5eaa7839d962272443eb66733f.png

image.png.fb2df7f0506b7e91879c294aee93f507.png

i need semicircular round text. with a text height of 4.5 cm.
but why am I a little bit hard to get it in Affinity. it's not as easy as I do it in Illustrator.
This is a request for a font from a customer and if it is replaced I will have to talk to him.
What you say is very helpful. Thank you for your help

I don't think it's any harder in Affinity than it is in Illustrator, I think you are just more familiar with Illustrator, as am I, but I find Affinity Designer just as easy to use as Illustrator.

The only bonus I can really find over affinity is with the move tool selected changing the font size doesn't happen automatically, there are no increase/decrease buttons, you have to confirm the size increase in order to see the font change which is very clumsy and a strange omission when pretty much every other setting on the Character Panel has increase/decrease buttons, so you end up having to repeat that process until you get to the size you want. 

The reason I used a taller font was to try and minimise the distortion of the text when using the vertical scale setting if the text was constrained to 180º because using Arial Black which is quite a chunky font requires a large vertical scale so a lot of stretching of the original font shape.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

simply typing 4.5cm in the font size will not get you a font that is visibly 4.5cm

This is why we wrote 4.5cm/c.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

so you end up having to repeat that process until you get to the size you want

No need in Affinity because you just use an expression here.

As I saw on your screenshot, you reduced the horizontal scaling of the text to 25%, possibly to get a condensed style. That could be the reason for that strange result. You shouldn't do that, because you will only get a false style by this way with destroyed proportions of the letters. It is a typographic no go.

Hope I'm understandable. My english is not verry good.

11 hours ago, Oval said:

This is why we wrote 4.5cm/c

Totally missed that bit Doh! What does the" /c " bit mean/do?

10 hours ago, firstdefence said:

What does the" /c " bit mean/do?

For those too lazy to look through the link, c is the abbreviation for the "capheight" typographical variable Cap height.

It is one of three available typographical variables for setting text size. The other two are "xheight" & "ascent" (abbreviations x & a respectively).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

For those too lazy to look through the link, c is the abbreviation for the "capheight" typographical variable Cap height.

It is one of three available typographical variables for setting text size. The other two are "xheight" & "ascent" (abbreviations x & a respectively).

Not lazy, a difficulty of understanding and to a point, observation. I've never looked at typography to that degree nor to expressions, although expressions don't compute with me, I have a hard enough time seeing gobbledygook with the basic alphabet lol!

Not everyone see's or understands what others see so an explanation from someone that understands can be very helpful.

It's a very familiar font. I think you should look at https://upfonts.com/optimus-princeps-dark-souls-font-generator/ I think I've seen it there. A good font makes you instantly notice it. You come into contact with it and immediately think, "Wow, what kind of font is used here, it looks cool". You start examining the sources and add to your collection of new finds. There's something special about each font. One font has a very nice big headline, another has numbers, another is great for the main text. So I'm sure you'll find something special for you there.