You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows

Dear Serif/Affinity Team, I just scrolled down the topic list of your forum and found a thread asking for a Windows version every three days on average. Please Remember: 91% of all computer users are on Windows and 99,99% of Windows users do not even know Affinity exists, yet. Nevertheless, every three days somebody takes the time to write a post. Somebody who is not in your target group, but who heard of Affinity and wants it (for any reason).

Can you imagine the potential demand for your software, once you reach out to the 91% of computer users that you currently ignore?

Btw: I've been a graphic designer for 17 years and I've always worked on PC. It's always been a pleasure, until Adobe started the Creative Cloud. As I avoid total dependency, I stay with CS5 until something better comes out. I hope this will be Affinity.

I think the answer is pretty clear, if you look at the myriad calm responses to those topics. They have not ruled it out. They have two nascent applications and a third that's not even out yet. The likelihood is that is may be on the roadmap, way after "finish what we've already started first." Things move at a certain pace in the software industry for a reason. There certainly seems to be enough demand to port Affinity to windows, people just have to be patient.

All that is true, but there is not really consensus. You have a slightly different version from MEB here, and another one in the same thread from TonyB here (with a smile that one, I think). However, neither oppose to MattP holding the right side of the stick either, it may well be considered anyway. If anything, my understanding so far is that it is given some consideration, at least when we discuss this here, but if done for real at all, it could take some long time as well.  ;)

I hope they never go with windows. There are many things to do on the mac first (DAM :) and even the iOS Apps!!!!!!).

I´ll avoid windows like plaque and so would I advice everyone, get a used mac and there you go! 

Mac just has a fantastic community which is really represented by this gorgeous forum! 

Windows is mainly used by the people who have to because of certain programs (office workers) and those who are afraid to change to mac because they´re told nothing would be compatible. There are few who really made the decision to windows (they are overrepresented in this forum IMO).

Jasper- great post from Tony by the way :))))) *big smile*

sidenote: not everything with an apple on it is golden and there are significant things that would need improvement and have to be criticized - but far less than with windows

..they programmed it in C or whatever derivate from that and also don´t use any apple stuff except for some of the UI

have to get rid about one thing about apple: new 4k iMac RAM is tinned into place - as well as the mac minis ones for a year i guess ... WHAT?!

Windows is mainly used by the people who have to because of certain programs (office workers) and those who are afraid to change to mac because they´re told nothing would be compatible. There are few who really made the decision to windows (they are overrepresented in this forum IMO).

I won´t enter into the usual Windows / Mac debate, just say that I personally will never go back to something else than a Mac, have been too happy with it since 2008, should have switched years earlier. Nevertheless, sometimes you cannot do anything else, examples like you stated already... I was very surprised for instance - not to say dismayed - when a friend´s kid got imposed some form of a Windows tablet at his high school this year, because that´s needed for everything as replacement for books. Only two disciplines would have ´enough´ with whatever good browser, being dispensed training online.  <_<

sidenote: not everything with an apple on it is golden and there are significant things that would need improvement and have to be criticized - but far less than with windows

I fully agree with that too.

I´m not an iPhone consumer, just use a very old Sony Ericsson W890i, still doing everything I need it to, telephone and SMS.  :P

I do have an old iPod Touch 4th gen and while I am looking at the latest one once in a while, do not really need it. Most of my telephone conversations have switched to it though, over WiFi, because 90% are with my son abroad and we communicate only through Messages or FaceTime now.  :lol:

I don´t see any appeal in the Watch, probably because of being an old dinosaur.  :blink:

I never thought I would like to have an iPad - cannot see me using it - but things have changed with the upcoming iPad Pro. It is a bit expensive but I can see me using this one with the Pencil, as a nice Cintiq and as replacement for my Kindle DX, soon at the end of its battery life now, alas. I secretly hope for a smaller iPad Pro though, because 10¨ neatly fits in my camera bags, but not 13¨.  :(

W810i really? It was my second mobile phone and I just loved it! But after 1,5 years I guess the screen broke.... 

Well you probably will have to get some sort of iPad in the future to run the Affinity apps on it as well (teasing :) ) But I´ve not got one at the moment myself either.

I find it ironic to hear Windows users feeling the same frustration Mac users have known for years...discovering a great piece of software only to find it is Windows only. I would be surprised if Serif did not release a Windows version simply because of the potential profit. But I do hope it is after Photo, Designer and Publisher have been matured and polished for awhile.

W810i really? It was my second mobile phone and I just loved it! But after 1,5 years I guess the screen broke.... 

Slightly younger, W890i.

My regretted wife wanted one to replace a Motorola she didn´t like at all. I simply put it in my pocket when it became redundant, because way newer than the old Nokia I was using at that time. It also is broken now, unrecoverable, soon to give up for only one reason, the clips at the top side gave up, so it´s a matter of time I think before I´ll need rubber band to keep it together with the battery and the SIM card. At that moment, I´ll likely get another one, not sure again it will be an iPhone; probably not, more likely a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge if it was now.

I find it ironic to hear Windows users feeling the same frustration Mac users have known for years...discovering a great piece of software only to find it is Windows only. I would be surprised if Serif did not release a Windows version simply because of the potential profit. But I do hope it is after Photo, Designer and Publisher have been matured and polished for awhile.

I'm with you there! I can recall all those point-and-click adventure games I love playing only to see that they were not available for Mac. 

Every time I see threads similar as this one, my head hits the computer desk and I mutter to myself, "Not agaaaaiiiiinnnnn!..."

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

• 4 weeks later...

"people just have to be patient"

roadmap for PC please

Mac users had to wait until the middle of the second decade of twenty-first century; before Serif/Affinity made it's its presence felt on Mac OS X. This shows that mighty apps cause mighty impatience. :rolleyes:

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

A fine example here in an Ars Technica article of the kind of thing Mac users still have to face so I kinda do a groan/facepalm every time I see threads like this one. 

Also, there is an alternative way to buy and use Affinity's Mac software right this very minute...    :P

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM