You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequent bluescreens of death

Having invested infinite amounts of money to migrate to a modern system - my previous system had a bad Intel graphics driver and Affinity Photo had a problem in conjunction with opencl - my new confiiguration keeps getting a bluescreen using Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979. At some time in the middle of every edit the program crashes taking the system with it. I get the infamous Bluescreen followed by an automatic re-boot!

When it happens and where it happens is completely unclear. Up to now this has happened at least half a dozen times over the past three or four days. Other programs I am using have not crashed up to now. These being mainly Filmora X and Smartshow3D. Affinity crashes in one out of four edit sessions.

The memory RAM usage slider in Preferences245431766_Screenshot(1).png.823899afed699e65a75f3036d5e92dee.png is standing on 8191 MB

A sysinfo is included.

sysinfo2 Simon.Payne@t-online.de.txt

1 hour ago, simono said:

At some time in the middle of every edit the program crashes taking the system with it. I get the infamous Bluescreen followed by an automatic re-boot!

That should mean that you have a hardware problem, or a device driver problem, or a Windows problem.

A BSOD includes an error description on the screen. What does it say?

What do the Windows admin tools (event log, etc.) show as the cause of the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That should mean that you have a hardware problem, or a device driver problem, or a Windows problem.

A BSOD includes an error description on the screen. What does it say?

What do the Windows admin tools (event log, etc.) show as the cause of the problem?

That's why I included a sysinfo - with the event log.

It is not really that probable that there's a hw failure. The only software displaying the problem is Affinity. Filmora along with Topaz Sharpen AI both work perfectly.

And here's the appropriate Windows Memory Dump

MEMORY.DMP

8 minutes ago, simono said:

It is not really that probable that there's a hw failure. The only software displaying the problem is Affinity. Filmora along with Topaz Sharpen AI both work perfectly.

I have lost count of the number of times over the years where I have experienced hardware issues that affected only a single program. Doyn't errors are related to very precise circumstances, and only one program does everything exactly right to trigger the issue.

But it may not be hardware. It could be drivers. Or Windows itself. Affinity does things differently from other applications, and may do legitimate things that trigger errors in drivers, Windows, or the hardware.

Affinity itself, running as a user-mode application, cannot crash Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@simono,

May i offer the following ideas?

• do the crashes occur with OpenCL disabled?
  • do the crashes occur with the MX330 selected as the renderer?
  • is it possible that you have other applications running in the background and the combination with APhoto is fatal?  I was wondering if other apps might access the Intel Graphics card simultaneously with APhoto

57 minutes ago, simono said:

And here's the appropriate Windows Memory Dump

MEMORY.DMP 1.31 GB · 0 downloads

1,3 GB honestly I'm not going to download that, LOL. - Further if you look into your sysinfo file there above, you will see that a bunch of other apps have problems too on your system there!

Try: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html in case that still works for Win10.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

I have to echo  Walt here and state that Affinity is absolutely incapable of causing a blue screen and this is definitely a hardware/driver issue.

I will ask someone to look at the attached dmp though as nothing stands out to me.

Sure, I realize that I am up against a driver cum Windows bug. However, using Affisity I cannot choose which platform to use - Intel or GeForce.

Wondershare Filmora allows me to choose.

Topaz Sharpen AI allows me to choose and even provides a "calibrate" to find out which platform is faster.

Affinity Photo does not. It just tells me that two platforms happen to be there.

However, the user may want to - or even need to - choose which platform to use. I do not even know which platform Affinity is using - which makes debugging driver problems in a mult-platform environment almost impossible. Having ditched my old laptop due to unresolved Intel driver issues, I am now on a brand new laptop and not getting one damn' jota any further.

My bluescreens are all identical, according to Bluescreen Viewer.

1032206397_Screenshot(2).png.e4c1b5d5e823db1633f180ef54194514.png

They come up over watchdog and seem to be all Direct X related. These bluescreens may be HP specific and the result of a particular Windows update.

Up to now, they have only occurred when using Affinity Photo.

By the way, according to hearsay Topaz has a problem with GeForce. But Topaz needs Intel anyway because of openVINO. Without the latter, their stuff is too slow on most machines to be of much use.

With openVINO - wow!

That's why I need to keep Intel in the circuit.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys , have the same Problems with Affinity Designer,Bluescreen every secound try, since my Last G Force Driver Update. Could it be  possible that the new Driver is guilty? Thanks for answer!

My System CPU AMD 2700X GPU Geforce RTX 2070 8MB 16GB Ram (3200)

@Rassel73 welcome to the forum.

If BSODs occur, then it will be due to a driver. Please uninstall the graphics card drivers completely.

The best way to do this is with the Display Driver uninstaller. After restarting Windows, you can then install the latest graphics card drivers.

Scroll down the DDU page and click on the text link ***Official Download Here***.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3480

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!