You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot apply textures to artistic text or shapes

JeMa

Hello! 
I'm thoroughly working through your Photo Workbook. But the book cover project Search the Woods brought me to a halt: When I tried to apply a texture file to an artistic text by moving the texture onto the text layer, the thumbnail picture (picture 1) of the texture changes to a white square with a little cropping symbol at the bottom right corner (for a fill layer?). But the content just vanishes and cannot be seen anymore. So the text stays in the former color (red), but no texture is shining through (See picture 2). Also with the layer mix mode according to the work book tutorial (picture 3) no layer shines through. 

Then I looked for video tutorials and tried to apply textures to other texts and shapes as well with the same result: no texture applied to the shapes or texts. 

What do I do wrong? What did change with the new version 1.9 for textures?

Jens 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

9 hours ago, JeMa said:

What do I do wrong? What did change with the new version 1.9 for textures?

Hi, you have to pay attention to HOW you drag the texture into the font layer. I hope my video will help. PS. It also works if you have put some fx on the font.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Thank you a lot! This special way to move layers around puzzled me for half of last night. And I couldn‘t find one hint in any tutorial. And it isn‘t explicitly explained in the project pages in the work book. Now, that I know the trick, it‘s easy and a wonderful tool for adding textures. Thanks!

3 hours ago, JeMa said:

Thank you a lot! This special way to move layers around puzzled me for half of last night. And I couldn‘t find one hint in any tutorial. And it isn‘t explicitly explained in the project pages in the work book. Now, that I know the trick, it‘s easy and a wonderful tool for adding textures. Thanks!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. Freut mich, dass ich helfen konnte 😀 

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

19 hours ago, JeMa said:

When I tried to apply a texture file to an artistic text by moving the texture onto the text layer, the thumbnail picture (picture 1) of the texture changes to a white square with a little cropping symbol at the bottom right corner (for a fill layer?).

If you want to do it that way around (cropping/masking instead of the clip-nesting that @Puck demonstrated) you need to drop the text layer onto the thumbnail of the picture layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)