You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do I Create a custom brush in Designer I can change the color of when using it?

Hello all..  I'm trying to figure something out but for the life of me, I can't seem to find the answer..

I'm following this tutorial on creating a custom brush for Designer (re-creating a beard hair brush I made for myself years ago in PS) How to create and import brush in Affinity Designer - YouTube

The problem I'm running into is that I need to be able to adjust the dynamics of this brush (like the size and scattering etc) for it to be effective, so I have to create it as a pixel persona brush seeing as I don't have these options in the vector brush dialog box.. But apparently once I have defined the brush using the selection/image like in the video, I have no ability to change the color of this brush when painting with it, which for my particular purpose is pretty useless unless I want to add a color overlay to every layer I use it on.. 

So..... How do you create a a custom pixel brush that you can paint with any chosen color, like the default brushes or the ones I've purchased through the website?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Finch. :)

A ‘Textured Image Brush’ has its own colours. You need to create a ‘Textured Intensity Brush’ (where the greyscale values provide an opacity map) if you want to be able to change the colour.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

AHHH!!  THANK YOU!  Yes this is the option I was looking for..  

I'd been trying to add the base hair that gets repeated into the Base Texture and Nozzle options of a round brush after posting this and simply couldn't get what I was going for..  Too many years using PS LOL.. 

Thank you so much!

Custom_Brush_Screenshot.jpg