You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Design used for Laser cut Designs.

I'm having several issues with the platform.  Any methods to address would be greatly appreciated.  

I'm using the finished SVG. files on a Glowforge laser cutter.  The files are often cut twice due to having double lines laying directly over each other.  Is there a part of the program that finds hidden double lines and removes them on layers or multiple layers.  When saving to SVG file, only the layers that are open at to be saved.  All layers that are turned off must not be saved in the SVG file.  

Grouped layers do not select well with other layers if they are not in the group.  This must change.  Any Grouped layer must be able to connect with any other layer without having to be in that Group.  Layers that are being selected, must activate in the group, not just activate the group.  This makes the selection process quicker.  

Importing SVG files made from jpgs:  There is a simple internet site that converts jpgs into SVG files.  The files are often littered with vector points in excess of what's needed.  Is there a way to reduce the unnecessary points in AD?  

@Jarrett, I've never used the Glowforge laser, but when I've done designs for my Shapeoko CNC router, I always try to have just one path for each cut.  I have never found any automated way of doing this.  Have you checked on the internet to see if there are any optimization sites to do this?  I never searched for such, but it's an idea.

The few times I've tried to use a program converting jpg to a vector, like Vectorize I found that the vectors were not very clean and were confusing.  They required a lot of manual work to clean up.  Redrawing it was usually easier once I figured out what my machine needed. 

I'm assuming the laser can shut itself off to move from one point to another without cutting.  Which makes the redrawing fairly easy, usually.  But then it does depend on how complex your design is.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

7 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

@Jarrett, I've never used the Glowforge laser, but when I've done designs for my Shapeoko CNC router, I always try to have just one path for each cut.  I have never found any automated way of doing this.  Have you checked on the internet to see if there are any optimization sites to do this?  I never searched for such, but it's an idea.

The few times I've tried to use a program converting jpg to a vector, like Vectorize I found that the vectors were not very clean and were confusing.  They required a lot of manual work to clean up.  Redrawing it was usually easier once I figured out what my machine needed. 

I'm assuming the laser can shut itself off to move from one point to another without cutting.  Which makes the redrawing fairly easy, usually.  But then it does depend on how complex your design is.

There are other programs.  Poor quality or expensive for my budget.  Serif needs to fix this.  They're in the business to support their loyalties.  I've found that when AD saves a file in SVG, it opens all other closed layers and saves them together.  Huge issue.  Serif must fix this.  Only layers that are open should be saved.  

@JarrettI was doing a project and what I had to have was one path for the entire drawing.  Basically as if you couldn't shut off the laser during a move.  I made a preset for exporting SVG that solved many of my problems.  I don't know if it will help you but you start with the More button at the bottom of the SVG export.  Maybe some of the other options will help you.

1720500502_ScreenShot2021-03-12at3_52_19PM.png.3d3129c4c407d78391f0ea6c378ee819.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

1 hour ago, Jarrett said:

Only layers that are open should be saved.  

Select the layers you want to export, and in the export options select "selection without background".

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma