You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Emboss Perlin Noise filter?

EN: What filter to use to get the effect similar to the Phptoshop emboss?

Unfortunately, when I use FX in Affinity, it only extrudes the edges of the layer, not its contents.

PL (jakbym cos pomieszał po ang.): 

Jaki filtr zastosować aby uzyskać efekt zbliżony do tego z Phptoshopa?

Niestety gdy stosuję FX w Affinity wytłacza mi wyłącznie brzegi warstwy, a nie jej zawartość.

emboss cloud filter.png

Try exporting the the Perlin Noise texture to a png file and then using a little app called CrazyBump.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could try the free G'MIC-Pllugin. It has more than 500 filters, and in the section "Rendering" there is also a "3D-Extrusion"-filter, if that is really what you are searching for.  Even check out the filter "3D-Elevation" in the same section. Possibly even the "Bump Map"-filter of GIMP could be interesting for you.

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

You could try the free G'MIC-Pllugin. It has more than 500 filters, and in the section "Rendering" there is also a "3D-Extrusion"-filter, if that is really what you are searching for.  Even check out the filter "3D-Elevation" in the same section. Possibly even the "Bump Map"-filter of GIMP could be interesting for you.

This plugin doesn't seem to work with 1.9 :(

Screenshot_piątek, 12 marca 2021_22h24m37s_001_.png

In case of images with 32 Bit colour depth, the plug-in is greyed out because G'MIC only supports 8 and 16 Bit. But in fact if you use the Affinity Photo-Version from the Microsoft Store, G'MIC will possibly not work. In that case you will get an error message. That unfortunatley is the case for me. I use G'MIC with GIMP.

4 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

In case of images with 32 Bit colour depth, the plug-in is greyed out because G'MIC only supports 8 and 16 Bit. But in fact if you use the Affinity Photo-Version from the Microsoft Store, G'MIC will possibly not work. That unfortunatley is the case for me. I use G'MIC with GIMP.

The effect is the same for both RGB / 8 and CMYK.
I have the entire Affinity package from the manufacturer (https://affinity.serif.com/).

7 minutes ago, Orbek said:

The effect is the same for both RGB / 8 and CMYK.
I have the entire Affinity package from the manufacturer (https://affinity.serif.com/).

Is your image rasterized? If it is only an "Image" ((you can see that in  the layers name), G'MIC will not work. In that case you must rightclick on the layer and click "Rasterize" first, before you start G'MIC.

4 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Is your image rasterized? If it is only an "Image" ((you can see that in  the layers name), G'MIC will not work. In that case you must rightclick on the layer and click "Rasterize" first, before you start G'MIC.

Rasterization is not helping, but I noticed something strange. When I open, for example, a texture - the plugin works. When I create an empty document and throw in the same texture - the plugin doesn't work.

23 minutes ago, Orbek said:

Rasterization is not helping, but I noticed something strange. When I open, for example, a texture - the plugin works. When I create an empty document and throw in the same texture - the plugin doesn't work.

Are you sure that it doesn't have to do with rasterization? If you open an image, it's already rasterized (see screenshot1). The layer name contains (Pixel) then. If you drag an image into a document, the layer name says that it is an (Image) (see screenshot2). So it has to be rasterized first, before you can start G'MIC.

As I said, I can't tell you more detailed things, because G'MIC doesn't work in my Affinity Photo anyway. Here is a LINK to the thread about my problem. Don't know if it will help you.

screenshot1.JPG

screenshot2.JPG

The emboss feature in photoshop is likely using a directional lighting technique, so, to that end Using the live adjustment filter: Lighting will get you the texturing you need. 

image.png.a83b4a110cf2d8d64c2f9736d1d67b3b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If you export your Perlin-Noise-Image as f.e. PNG, load it as Bump-Map into the Lighting-Filter, that you apply to the same image, and then play a little with the Texture-Ruler, it will look like this. The 3d-Extrusion-Filter in G'MIC wasn't a good tip (Sorry!), but there is also an Emboss-Filter in G'MIC (section "Details") that looks somehow similar to this. Is this what you are looking for?

PerlinNoise-bump-mapped.png.d19bbd30ec3c8e5cbe789015b392b3be.png

24 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

If you export your Perlin-Noise-Image as f.e. PNG, load it as Bump-Map into the Lighting-Filter, that you apply to the same image, and then play a little with the Texture-Ruler, it will look like this. The 3d-Extrusion-Filter in G'MIC wasn't a good tip (Sorry!), but there is also an Emboss-Filter in G'MIC (section "Details") that looks somehow similar to this. Is this what you are looking for?

PerlinNoise-bump-mapped.png.d19bbd30ec3c8e5cbe789015b392b3be.png

It looks really good now. I will test tomorrow for sure.

I would still take a look at CrazyBump as a useful tool, it's about as simple as it gets...

image.thumb.png.903a78d5fd9d98ba21130b35fec8aa79.png

image.png.1dc17878fcf8958b1ba63a3285f832a1.png

CrazyBump

10 hours ago, Orbek said:

Realistic map for the D&D game 😉 Water, land, mountains, forests ect.

You can use ready-made PBR textures. You will need at least 3 of the set.

PBR.png.46da6fae22cb51f09011fd516f5172ec.png