You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac: Saving large projects for exchange with other applications

How are you supposed to be able to save large projects and exchange them with Photoshop or other applications?

Affinity Photo does not support PSB
No BigTIFF
No layers with TIFF (I know, it's an Adobe thing)
No editable layers are preserved with PDF

Now what?

I had high hopes for Affinity and I am really liking a lot of things about it (image brush!), but if I cannot use it to edit large projects (30GB+ image files) and swap them back into Photoshop then Affinity Photo is close to being useless for me.

Please tell me there is either an option that I missed or that there is PSB support in the works! Thanks.

Just chiming in, in my several months battle to get rid of photoshop (or at least have an alternative), this format happens to be quite a blocker (mostly because of some Unity 2D workflows import features that happens to be only .PSB and not .PSD for some reason).

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

@Imaginarius Our apps can import .PSB files but not export out to that format and our developers don't have any current plans to add support for when exporting.

We can export to TIFF with Affinity layers, this will be the same as PS where only the app that created the files can reopen them as it add on to the TIFF standard.

Layers can be retained when exporting to PDF but this can depend on layer structure, content etc.

Out of interest can you provide an example of the file size you usually work with?

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

@Imaginarius Our apps can import .PSB files but not export out to that format and our developers don't have any current plans to add support for when exporting.

We can export to TIFF with Affinity layers, this will be the same as PS where only the app that created the files can reopen them as it add on to the TIFF standard.

Layers can be retained when exporting to PDF but this can depend on layer structure, content etc.

Out of interest can you provide an example of the file size you usually work with?

Hi Lee,

I hope that the PSB support is getting re-considered.
Without it it feels like Affinity with all its wonderful achievements so far is just dropping it right before the finish line. If Affinity wants to become a Photoshop replacement, it must start by being able to exchange data of any size in convenient ways.

Some of my work is for example 21600x7200 pixels and larger with a gazillion of layers.
Such work files can easily exceed 10GB of drive space in PSB format.

I will not be able to make Affinity Photo part of my workflow without being able to read and write such files and exchange them fluently with Photoshop.
Clip Studio Paint which I am evaluating right now btw can export PSB - Just FYI. I would like Affinity Photo not to fall behind and stay limited for certain professional uses.

I'll yet have to test what will be retained when using a PDF, but normally I am used to PDF being used for production ready files.