You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confused by Masks and those Other Masks

Hi, this is probably a noob thing. I re-watched the masking tutorials but I still am a bit confused by some aspects of layer masks. I want to figure this out because it's pretty obvious how powerful they are. Maybe somebody who knows these better can explain how exactly I'm supposed to be using them.

There are two kinds of masks. One is basically painting directly on an adjustment layer, like they do in the tutorial. I get that the layer only applies where it's not black, and that it's partially applied where it's grey. You can't drag this kind around.

Then a second, more overt kind of mask that you get if you go to the layers and hit "mask layer" or if you go to the layers menu and hit "new mask layer." This is the kind you can drag around. If you put it as a child to an adjustment layer it does the same thing as painting on the layer itself.

I like the second kind because I can copy and paste it into another adjustment if I want to mask the same area out for multiple adjustments. I also like that you can right click on it and edit the mask.

But in the tutorial they use the first kind of mask for adjustment or live filter layers. So I assume it's the best type. Thing is, once you paint the mask on this layer like the tutorial, there doesn't seem to be a way to easily go in and edit your mask. You can paint black or white or grey, sure, but you essentially do that blind. And the only way I can see to delete this mask once it's made is to go into channels and clear the alpha channel for the adjustment. If I hit "toggle quick mask" at the top of the screen, I get only a way to select.

There is the "refine mask" available on the layer menu, and when I click it it brings up something like what I'm looking for, a quickmasked version of my mask. But when I click it, the mask is not the one I made originally, it's altered.

So what I want is a way to edit the mask I've made while seeing it on the screen. Ideally this would be a quick mask so I can see the photo underneath for reference. I can do it with child layer masks, but once I paint something on an adjustment layer like in the tutorial it's lost to me. Am I doing it wrong? What is the right way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any advice.

Erstwhile

• Staff

Hi Erstwhile,

At this moment in time the closest thing to what you are looking for is the Layers and Refine mask option that you mentioned in your post. If you would like to see a feature like Quick Mask editing for Adjustment Layers I would recommend making a post in our Feature Requests section.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.