You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

exported tiff image has defects

Hi all, I'm having trouble with a raw file exporting to a tiff file in Affinity Photo.  The exported tiff image has pixel tiles that don't conform to the image, like ink spots sort of.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Generally speaking I haven't had trouble exporting to tiff.  In fact the image shared below was exported to tiff without issue with the image developed in RAW but otherwise did not have any other adjustment layers.  After applying about a dozen localized adjustments (curve, hsl, split toning, blends), I get visual defects on the export tiff file.  Please refer to the image.  System is Win10.

jj-20210220-73-small.jpg

@JeffJ, What graphic card(s) are you using?

• Check to see if the drivers are up to date. If not make sure to download the most current one for your card, uninstall the old and install the current one.
  • In Affinity Photo, go to Menu>Preferences, then Performance.
  • Check to see if the box beside Hardware Acceleration is checked. If so uncheck it.
  • Restart, and try again to see if that may have corrected your problem.

They're having a lot of problems with the new Hardware Acceleration feature. You might also want to download and install the current Beta version, 1.9.2.1005. It can run alongside the retail version.  They fixed some of the problems with Hardware Acceleration in it.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks Ron P for taking the time to respond.  The information you provided motivated me to do more testing.

Testing confirmed it was hardware acceleration causing the defects in the export to tiff image created.  I disabled the hardware acceleration setting in Affinity Photo ver 1.9.1.979 and exported a tiff file, the tiff file created had no issues.  

The tiff issue appears to be fixed in Affinity Photo version 1.9.2.1005 (BETA).  Running Affinity Photo beta version 1.9.2.1005 with hardware acceleration enabled I successfully exported tiff files and the tiff files did not have any issues.

So, in summary I have two options.  In Affinity Photo ver 1.9.1.979 I can disable hardware acceleration when I want to export to tiff, otherwise hardware acceleration will be enabled.  Hardware acceleration makes a significant difference on my Win10 workstation.

Or...I can run Affinity Photo beta version when I want to export to a tiff file.

Either option, either process will get me a good tiff file.

JJ