You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom Shortcut while in text frame

1 hour ago, sambader said:

I use the shortcut keys CMD+ to zoom in however if I'm editing a text frame the CMD- option works correctly to zoom out but the CMD+ to zoom in does not. It works so far for everything else, just not while editing a text frame.

Odd little bug, you need to include the Shift to get the + (for Plus sign) instead of the = (equals sign) which does nothing. Quite a weird bug, the + and - on the number pad of my extended keyboard work .

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Isn't the issue "simply" related to the selected keyboard language?

To me in German the shortcut  cmd +  ('zoom in') works charming, whereas – different to English – for the brackets [  ] (e.g.  cmd [   'select layer below')  I need to press 5 / 6 plus the additional option modifier key (cmd option 5).

586604668_keyboardD.jpg.706df42eba68cf3ba7523cd4173f3176.jpg  <– D vs. EN –>  919584013_keyboardEN.jpg.1865d029f033a70a3b5e79df85009989.jpg

So to me this topic's issue of cmd + (alias cmd shift = ) doesn't feel like a bug and could probably only get solved by Affinity with offering various sets of keyboard shortcuts to choose from according to the keyboard language – though even then it wouldn't solve the problem of not working shortcuts when one switches the keyboard language for easier typing in a specific text language.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

13 hours ago, thomaso said:

So to me this topic's issue of cmd + (alias cmd shift = ) doesn't feel like a bug

The fact that it does work without the shift when not editing text but does not work without the shift key when editing text does seem like a bug, at least to me. If not a bug, it is an inconsistency.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing the issue is that the choice of buttons is 'too' logical in that on my keyboard I have to use:

CMD SHIFT + to zoom in (with text frame selected)

CMD - to zoom out (it won't work with SHIFT selected for this button).

Presumably this is because strictly for those buttons the 'plus' requires the shift key but the 'minus' does not.

While this might explain why it works this way it's still irritating as for the most part I can quickly work by using the CMD and either plus or minus buttons but if I'm trying to do so for a text frame I have to be specific in using the shift key or not which breaks up the workflow.

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Miscellaneous is yet another option to override Zoom In/Out.
Works for me in text frames with any odd shortcut I'd throw at it, as long as it either involves the cmd or ctrl modifiers, or if I'm using any still free F-keys combinations via fn-F#.

For what it's worth though, since Apple in its infinite "wisdom" (aka arrogance) decided 15 years ago that MacBook Pro users don't "need" a NumPad simulation anymore, I'm using apps like Karabiner that will allow me to simulate and map NumPad characters via fn key. So for me it's fn-cmd-minus to simulate cmd-+ directly on system level. With only a few exceptions it works in all apps, including Affinity.

Other than that, I'm using a customized "hybrid" Swiss-Czech keyboard layout, with the + character being at shift-1. So cmd-shift-1 usually also works in place of cmd-+, including while in the Text Frame edit mode.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 2:36 PM, loukash said:

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Miscellaneous is yet another option to override Zoom In/Out.
Works for me in text frames with any odd shortcut I'd throw at it, as long as it either involves the cmd or ctrl modifiers, or if I'm using any still free F-keys combinations via fn-F#.

For what it's worth though, since Apple in its infinite "wisdom" (aka arrogance) decided 15 years ago that MacBook Pro users don't "need" a NumPad simulation anymore, I'm using apps like Karabiner that will allow me to simulate and map NumPad characters via fn key. So for me it's fn-cmd-minus to simulate cmd-+ directly on system level. With only a few exceptions it works in all apps, including Affinity.

Other than that, I'm using a customized "hybrid" Swiss-Czech keyboard layout, with the + character being at shift-1. So cmd-shift-1 usually also works in place of cmd-+, including while in the Text Frame edit mode.

Thank you!!

I just changed the shortcut to = (for zoom in) and now works perfectly as CMD +/=

Although I did then also have to set the zoom out button option too (to -) but now working as expected. Thanks :)