You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Enable/Disable individual plugins

(Sorry, if this has been requested before, but I couldn't find anything in this forums using the forum search.)

I use multiple software which can make use of a lot of Photoshop compatible plugins. But I don't want to install all of latter multiple times for each program individually. Instead, I use a shared location for them.

Now, the problem is, that some plugins don't work in affinity. Sometimes it's even just half of the filters of one developer's package of plugins. They all appear as separate plugins in the preferences setup (under "unknown"). 

I'd like to see an option to enable/disable individual filters in that menu for use in affinity photo. Right now, we can only disable all "unknown" plugins at once, but not individually. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

@Andy05

I understand what you are asking for but I wonder whether there is an "easier solution" to your problem?

Install all your plugins wherever you wish but place a copy of only the "usable" .8bf files for each plugin in the default Affinity folder, C:\Program Data\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins or C:\Program Data\Affinity\Photo\1.0(Beta).  Yes you will have potentially multiple copies of the "link" files but each plugin will be fully installed in only one location and you can choose which plugins should NOT be "read" by Affinity.

This is something I have done for quite a number of years, precisely to avoid the situation you ask about.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

That's what I'm currently doing, yet it's no satisfying solution at all. Also, it's not working with all filters (i. e. if they read and write in their own system of subfolders).

As said, I'm using multiple apps which use the plugins. It can become quite a  chore, if you have to do this all the time for all plugins and apps. And your tip requires manually copying files within sensible areas of an operating system. This isn't a problem for me at all, but might become an issue for less experienced users.

A simple checkbox in front of each plugin in the setups in order to activate or deactivate a plugin is a plain and simple solution. The list is already there. I'm missing such a feature in some of the other programs I use, too. But that doesn't mean that serif could or should not consider such an option in their apps. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)