You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.NEF histogram skewed left and image washed out

Using Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979; camera Nikon D7200; shooting NEF+JPG; working with well-exposed images that display normally in AP 1.7 and AP 1.8.5 (They also behave normally in ACDSee Ultimate, DxO Photolab 4, and Nikon NX Studio).

When these same .NEF files are opened in AP 1.9.1 the image appears washed out and the histogram is skewed to the left. The .JPGs of the same images display correctly.

The screenshots of test images below are "as opened" with no adjustments, and clearly show the difference between for example ACDSee (top)  vs  Affinity Photo (bottom).

The same problem affects older .NEFs from Nikon D60 and D80, so it does not appear to be camera-specific. I've checked the AP options and settings but nothing there makes a difference.

I also see that similar issues were reported with AP 1.6, and apparently resolved in 1.7.  This makes AP 1.9.1 unusable for RAW processing.

2021-Mar-12 01-38-54.jpg

2021-Mar-12 01-38-08.jpg

Hi Gabe - thanks, I've tried this, but making an adjustment does NOT force the histogram to snap back into the correct position.

If I move the exposure slider to the right it just stretches the histo, which effectively loses all the colour depth in the right half. 

I'll check out my system OpenCL settings, but my images open fine in all other apps, and opened fine in previous versions of AP - so is v1.9.1 handling OpenCL differently?

If the Develop Assistant's Tone Curve setting is initially off then opening the image gives a skewed histogram. If I then switch the Tone Curve on the image changes (correctly) but the histogram remains unchanged.

A minor change to exposure now forces "the histogram to snap back to correct position"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.