You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

We Need A General Section For Random Stuff Like This

VectorVonDoom

27 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

I also like to think that with certain pieces by modern era artists that in private conversations they were possibly laughing up their sleeves. Duchamp putting a urinal on a pedestal at an exhibition comes to mind.

Taking the p***, as you might say! Wasn’t he also the artist responsible for ‘L.H.O.O.Q.’? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, dannyg9 said:

I respectfully disagree with you on Barnett Newman and other artists that basically comes up and to Basquiat and Keith Haring (graffiti art to put it at its most basic term). There was a movement amongst abstract expressionists (and Cubists, to a degree) to break down the norms of "Painting" or "Art" and culminating with single canvases of one color. Is it monumental? That depends on your judgement, but in the context of art history they did it FIRST. Same goes for Warhol. When art has been broken down to Rothko canvases or Pollock drip paintings (any drips AFTER Pollock is just copycat), what's left? Elevate the everyday and mundane objects such as Brillo boxes and Campbell soup cans and objectify them as art. I also like to think that with certain pieces by modern era artists that in private conversations they were possibly laughing up their sleeves. Duchamp putting a urinal on a pedestal at an exhibition comes to mind. So too the piece from Beeple. Absolutely nothing ground-breaking in regards to originality or even some sort of remarkable creativity. BUT whomever posted it and sold it was or seemingly IS the first person to do that. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank at the person crazy enough to pay that amount for something not even tangible, much less original. 

And also keep in mind, just because some cash-crazy individuals with gobs of money to burn purchase new or old art, doesn't mean that the work is elevated just because of an auction house price tag. Don't confuse scarcity of "product" and "Status-Greed" with actual worth. Case in point, there are collectors the world over who have bought vintage guitars at outrageous prices and locked them away in a vault, purely as an investment. Scarcity of some instruments, such as a 50s Gold Top Les Paul, DO bump up the value and price, but think about this: some of those vintage instruments sound terrible. Also when musicians can bring forth beautiful music (whatever floats your boat) out of a Stradivarius, a Steinway, or a Gibson, and those said instruments are relegated to collectable objects, then I believe the worth is diminished. They become items locked away and never to be touched or heard.

Art is very subjective and we each have likes and dislikes. I love the talent of Bob Ross and the inspiration he brought to so many in the simplest way. I think he could have stopped when his paintings were about 85% finished and not pushed them over the top with ONE MORE TREE. . . but I digress. In my teenage years, my mind was set that everything after the Renaissance was nothing. Studying and learning about art history is a powerful thing. It also disclosed that many of the Renaissance work was technically commercial in that the very rich or the church commissioned them.

You can but you are wrong lol, it's still rubbish wrapped up in a lot of words. No they didn't do it first, bad painter and decorators have been doing the same for centuries.  Pretend that one of them had been first what does that make the people still doing the same lame thing?

I've never understood how people can prattle on and on about the meaning behind Pollock's work either as you can be pretty certain there wasn't any and any so called meaning was added afterwards. Whilst you can argue that Warhol's soup cans etc aren't exactly a technical marvels at least it took some talent and imagination.

No, Beeple isn't the first to sell NFT's, they've been around for about 5 years. It's just that it has now become the latest bandwagon to jump on and for people to hype up.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Inspiration!

How do you find YOUR inspiration? What triggers your urge to create?

I have one simple thing, I have literally thousands and thousands of photos which I took over the years, I just browse them either by keywords or simply go back in time and I'm sure to find an image that triggers an idea.

Another thing is browsing Pinterest, also a treasure trove of inspiration.

And last but not least, what I see around me, often the beautiful woman in my life, a publicity poster, something in a shop window....

How about you?

Nothing special. I'm sometimes in the mood to do a certain thing then decide what and, if it's realistic, are there good enough references out there. If not then plan b, c.... However other times I don't know what I'd like to do so image search for whatever pops in to my head until I come across something that takes my fancy. Behance and Dribble sometimes give me some ideas too, I generally block pinterest. Deviantart used to be good but is full of junk now so takes too much effort to find the good stuff. I also save images that I find interesting during general browsing as you can never find them later otherwise. Lastly if something pops in to my head but I don't want to search around I add it to my list for later.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

5 hours ago, PeterRex said:

Inspiration!

[...]

Fairly straightforward, really comes down to things I'm passionate about whether a long held interest in particular subject matter or specific cause/plight that incentivizes one to represent a certain perspective visually also if needed, reference material can be anything readily too hand be it print,  digital or innate 'visual library'.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:48 AM, VectorVonDoom said:

“I’m confident it’s not a hype thing” yeah right... Lucky him though, going from selling at $100 max before this nonsense started. Perhaps we should be seeing how to get in on the action rather than laughing at the gullible who buy this sort of stuff.

It's totally a hype thing lol. I looked into this NFT art last month, to create it you need to buy Etherium and then make tokens and whatnot. I don't know if this was already explained but, I also didn't bother reading the rest of these posts. I have a profile @PipeBombMedia on one of the main websites that sells this work but, because I didn't have etherium (couldn't buy it either since it wouldn't let me due to an American debit card), I couldn't upload my work for sale which is mad gay.

17 hours ago, PeterRex said:

Inspiration!

I am not inspired by anything anymore. My passion for anything has died thanks to the bullshit of living in NYC, one of the most culturally diverse and oversaturated and uninspired cities to exist. Politics has deliberately murdered the creative process and has allowed the "normie" to produce safe, politically correct art. Nothing in art, in my own opinion, has been thought provoking for the past 25 years. Whatever people believe is "thought provoking" now is because they are bought and sold the idea that some hype art is thought provoking, hook, line and sinker.

Everything has been bought and sold. Nothing is authentic, all these "occult" looking art pieces are played out cliches. It's all bullshit.

Well, enough ranting, back to creating something I want to see...

My brother and I did have a look at both nft costs and what is being sold. It costs about $120 to create the nft, depending on the current price of Etherium. But 99% of the stuff for sale you'd be embarrassed to show it off (well I would be) although that doesn't stop people buying it. Most of the work on here or behance etc would look totally out of place as it's far too good. 

For example the current bid on this is 3Eth, about $4800

image.png

Animated things, even if it's just spinning it around, seem popular.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

10 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

My brother and I did have a look at both nft costs and what is being sold. It costs about $120 to create the nft, depending on the current price of Etherium. But 99% of the stuff for sale you'd be embarrassed to show it off (well I would be) although that doesn't stop people buying it. Most of the work on here or behance etc would look totally out of place as it's far too good. 

For example the current bid on this is 3Eth, about $4800

image.png

Animated things, even if it's just spinning it around, seem popular.

Bruuuuuuuuuuh lol, the better it is the more you can sell it for. 

1 minute ago, VectorVonDoom said:

I'm not sure about that. I'm not convinced many of them are looking for quality. I think if we wanted to get in on it then we need to lower our standards. I might give it a go, don't know what yet.

Just make pop culture shit, they seem to love it. Video game shit. I don't know anything about video games but pop culture, yea, especially if you make it about the pandemic, I'm sure that would sell. Just gotta brand yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, LastGrasp said:

I am not inspired by anything anymore. My passion for anything has died thanks to the bullshit of living in NYC, one of the most culturally diverse and oversaturated and uninspired cities to exist. Politics has deliberately murdered the creative process and has allowed the "normie" to produce safe, politically correct art. Nothing in art, in my own opinion, has been thought provoking for the past 25 years. Whatever people believe is "thought provoking" now is because they are bought and sold the idea that some hype art is thought provoking, hook, line and sinker.

Everything has been bought and sold. Nothing is authentic, all these "occult" looking art pieces are played out cliches. It's all bullshit.

Well, enough ranting, back to creating something I want to see...

This woman is doing great work. She reminds me of the 60s and 70s art/music/culture scene (maybe the 80s but my personal opinion is it got commercialized and only Keith Haring and Basquiat were really significant). She may not be everyone's taste, but she has a style, pays a "wink-wink" respect to artists like Warhol, and has a deeper social commentary.

http://www.angelachina.com

11 minutes ago, PeterRex said:

Are they going now for quality and/or art? 😳

I wouldn’t worry about that, Peter. If your “unshowables” are even close to half the quality of the work you’ve shared here they’ll be well above the threshold on both counts. :)

Alfred spacer.png

• 10 months later...

2022-02-12 _ Marketplace suspends most NFT sales, citing 'rampant' fakes and plagiarism (…)
It was after the Dorsey NFT sale that he started to get a sense of what was going on in NFT markets.

"We realized that a lot of it is just money chasing money."

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/nft-marketplace-shuts-citing-rampant-fakes-plagiarism-problem-2022-02-11/

Actually, impressive how long it took to recognize.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 5:32 AM, thomaso said:

🐕  …  Is this that Nottingham?

What other Nottingham could it be? :/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham_Greyhound_Stadium

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

What other Nottingham could it be? :/

Well, @thomaso asked a sensible question, there are two Frankfurts in Germany.

There are a a lot of places in the United Kingdom called Newport.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.