You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Designer: trouble putting a layer where I need it

I drag an item under another in the layer studio and I get the blue highlight that looks like Designer is accepting what I want but it either instead sends the layer I want to move under the entire group or I guess clipped by one of the other layers.

This is often a very tedious process with unpredictable results. Anyone discover a trick to coax designer into letting us arrange layers how we want without clipping them or moving them to a layer we don't want moved to?

Thank you

@VectorCat That's because there are so many reasons for dragging a layer below another.  So the blue bar shows what it will do with the layer if the move is accepted (dropped) at that time. 

If the bar is all the way to the left edge of the layer panel then the layer will be dropped at where it's at but at the top level in the hierarchy.

If the blue bar extends to the left edge of the thumbnail of the layer above it, it will be inserted at the same level of the hierarchy as the layer above it.

If the blue bar extends to about the middle of the thumbnail of the layer above it, then it will become a child of the layer above it.  As in a clipping mask.

If the layer is dropped onto the thumbnail of another layer the blue bar will be vertical, then it will become a child of the layer above it.  As in a layer mask.

I hope that helps.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.