You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Diving into Designer...

PeterRex

4 hours ago, Ren De said:

Dannyg9, you are so right! I could not agree more! Creativity finds its way no matter what materials or tools are at hand. When artists first began using digital images the aesthetic was different with the clunky, chunky pixellated images and some people I knew were disparaging the work as non-art. I pointed out that we do not criticize a masterful woodcut for not being an etching...  

PeterRex, i like your work - especially the b/w stuff. Brings to mind solarization...and pen and ink.  Very cool.

Thank you @Ren De, to tell you a secret, I am also a print maker, using lino cut and mostly in black. Colours tend to confuse me. So that's why I like plain black and white work. 😉

Now I'm getting lazy!

One stroke only!

Well not really, there have been three curves, the main drawing stroke, the lightbeam and a circle but after a bit of Break Curve, Delete and Join Curves there is now only one curve. The rest is done by modyfying the pressure curve in the stroke settings.

LighthouseOneStroke2.jpg

I spent a good part of my evening with this, still have to work on the text (Text-warp!). It's for a poster for a vape store.

While almost finished with the bottle I checked the outline button and liked the result. So I duplicated everything, ungrouped everything, unchecked every fill, blurr, pressure modification, opacity, set every outline to black and stroke width to one and set the layer opacity to 70% et voilà!

VaporiumSketch.jpg

And without the strokes:

Vaporium1.jpg

On 3/16/2021 at 1:27 PM, dannyg9 said:

Don't follow the crowd, find your own path. I think some of the really detailed pieces here are originating with some sort of high end tracing software that takes the subject from photo to vector. At least that's what I gleaned from one conversation. If that's not the case, then I'm all the more impressed that these pieces are done by painstakingly drawing that wealth of vector information bit-by-bit. Reminds me of the technical air brush artists from back-in-the-day (Philip Castle, Jim Hatch, and the absolute master, Don Eddy). Any creative endeavor is worthy of praise, no matter the tool(s) used. 

Not mine they're not! It's usually pretty simple to see if they are from the outlines (sometimes just from the output) and obvious if you get to see the source file.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

23 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Not mine they're not! It's usually pretty simple to see if they are from the outlines (sometimes just from the output) and obvious if you get to see the source file.

I've tried the Inkscape vectorizer and some online tools, can't say that I do like the outcome.

Maybe worth a try to vectorize a sketch, but as far as photos or paintings are concerned, the time you spend cleaning up the mess, you can trace it by your own. Or maybe I haven't found the right tool.

But anyway, I'd rather do it by hand if I have to trace something.

It depends what you are trying to convert. If it's something simple and especially monotone then it can do a pretty good job. But as you say unless the input is really nice quality then the amount of cleaning up often makes it a bit pointless. I've yet to see a converter do anything other than flat colours and never use blurs whereas anything photorealistic is normally going to have both gradients and blurs. But there are some things on here that aren't what they seem.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

@PeterRex Really diggin the fungi pieces, overall a fairly vibrant color palette you've got there - nice. 👍

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On 3/17/2021 at 12:27 AM, dannyg9 said:

I think some of the really detailed pieces here are originating with some sort of high end tracing software that takes the subject from photo to vector. At least that's what I gleaned from one conversation. If that's not the case, then I'm all the more impressed that these pieces are done by painstakingly drawing that wealth of vector information bit-by-bit. Reminds me of the technical air brush artists from back-in-the-day (Philip Castle, Jim Hatch, and the absolute master, Don Eddy). Any creative endeavor is worthy of praise, no matter the tool(s) used. 

Adobe Illustrator has a trace pre-set, I think for vectorizing raster images and yes indeed the process of manually editing a given work with some complexity using vectors can be a laborious task, well at least for me as a novice.

Also interesting point about artists implementing airbrushing in their work because as a self proclaimed scifi nut had grown up admiring Masters of the craft especially someone like Chris Foss, who'd first experimented with the technique back in the 1960s.