You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Diving into Designer...

PeterRex

Love it and I only see three immediate things.

The curve of the base of the glass doesn't quite go with the curve of the top.

The moisture drop at the top of the straw seems to be defying gravity. I'd put it on the opposite side.

The liquid puddle around the base of the glass should be a bit translucent (show the woodgrain beneath it - same way you've done with the shadow of the glass.).

Those are tweaks. Well done overall.

Very nice... and now I am thirsty!

Aside of things mentioned by Dannyg9...

The condensation droplets on outside of glass, need a bit more differentiation or defining.. as they appear inside the glass with the liquid, bubbles, ice. Perhaps, just another type of Layer Blend or not as a Child Layer.

On the Glass, perhaps a Duplicate of the Thin Sheen line used for opposite side (as is), maybe adding another as well ‘on the sunny side’..but with the same vibrancy in Tone as the Large Sheen on back of glass.

Maybe a Contour Gradient Outline of Main Text, using Color chosen and lighter White Tint...can add a similarity to the Droplets and such, Compositionally.

Just little things, but like it.

Can you see I'm bored ? Bars and restaurants closed, no beer in the fridge, I finished all my new books…

I tried something minimalistic, especially after having seen a couple of those realistic car illustrations here, maybe a tad too minimalistic…

It is time we get a Halftone tool in Designer, placing, rotating and scaling .pngs is not really fun!

On some Halftone shapes I duplicated the container shape, got rid of the childed .png and added a fill gradient from white to full transparency.

And as usual, feedback is always welcome!

BWHalftone.jpg

BWHalftoneOutline.jpg

I like the rework of "HOT?"

Good job on the puddle of condensation and the condensation on the straw and the glass. 

This is just me, but I still think the curve of the bottom of the glass needs to be closer in shape to the curve at the top.

Love all the artistic silhouette/outline/halftone stuff, especially the "cup of coffee' piece.

Doesn't have to be realistic. That doesn't quantify the work. Does it LOOK good? 

That said, if it is absolute realism that you're going for, then by all means, be self-critical. I like where its at right now so anything you do to "improve" or refine this piece will be icing on the cake.

Always have to take intent of the artist into account when observing the work posted here.

I don't think that I would go further into realism on this one even if I could, I like it as it is (maybe I try to render the stem more 3d, more detailed).

Thing is, I admire the realistic cars you ca see here on the forum and I wish i were able to do such work (maybe in a couple of years), but on the other hand, I'm not a car guy and have never really been into objective realism. I'd rather go with my subjective realism. 😄

Don't follow the crowd, find your own path. I think some of the really detailed pieces here are originating with some sort of high end tracing software that takes the subject from photo to vector. At least that's what I gleaned from one conversation. If that's not the case, then I'm all the more impressed that these pieces are done by painstakingly drawing that wealth of vector information bit-by-bit. Reminds me of the technical air brush artists from back-in-the-day (Philip Castle, Jim Hatch, and the absolute master, Don Eddy). Any creative endeavor is worthy of praise, no matter the tool(s) used. 

Dannyg9, you are so right! I could not agree more! Creativity finds its way no matter what materials or tools are at hand. When artists first began using digital images the aesthetic was different with the clunky, chunky pixellated images and some people I knew were disparaging the work as non-art. I pointed out that we do not criticize a masterful woodcut for not being an etching...  

PeterRex, i like your work - especially the b/w stuff. Brings to mind solarization...and pen and ink.  Very cool.