You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I seem to be getting strange unwanted noise is gradients when I use a global curves adjustment. I can't get rid of it, and I thought I mistakenly added it when you choose a color in the gradient editor but I didn't.  How do I get rid of it? See attached. Now my curves adjustment is pretty extreme though. I guess you could say I am pushing the app to new boundaries!

This has happened to me in the past when working in Photoshop as well and dealing with subtle gradients. The only solution I found was to keep Dither Gradients on but convert my document up from an 8-bit RGB to a 16-bit RGB file. This enables the software to use 65,536 shades per channel instead of the usual 256.

Do all your adjustments and gradients in 16-bit mode, and when satisfied convert back to 8-bit if necessary (for web or print). It should yield smoother results, although I haven't had a need to test this on AP yet. If you do, please post your findings. Good luck!

I seem to be getting strange unwanted noise is gradients when I use a global curves adjustment. I can't get rid of it, and I thought I mistakenly added it when you choose a color in the gradient editor but I didn't.  How do I get rid of it? See attached. Now my curves adjustment is pretty extreme though. I guess you could say I am pushing the app to new boundaries!

Yes, that's the issue here :) Problem is if you remove the dithering you get banding (specially visible on greyscale gradients)...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Miguel, is there any way to adjust the amount of Dithering applied to gradients, kinda like the Noise slider in the Color Picker?

That would be a very useful slider in the Gradient tool Context toolbar.... :)

If you're going to change to 16 bit then it's worth to try to disable the dithering, since the banding will be considerably attenuated.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Miguel, is there any way to adjust the amount of Dithering applied to gradients, kinda like the Noise slider in the Color Picker?

No, there's no way to do that.

What i usually do is send the file to Affinity Photo to add a Noise filter to help with some problematic objects then return back to Designer.

You can still double-clik on it in Designer to edit its properties and copy/paste to use with other objects.