You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Perspective Layer Bug with duplicated layers

Hello,

I found a rather frustrating bug with Affinity Photo (or its Personas) and the Live Perspective Filter Layer.
In general, this live filter functions as promised. However, as soon as I make a copy of a group that contains one of those layers, it all gets a little bit tricky and weird.

So, the following happens:

1. The perspective layer on the ORIGINAL works as intended.
  2. As I move the ORIGINAL, eveything still works.
  3. If I now copy the ORIGINAL, the COPY has the wrong perspecitve. It seems like the position of the perspective rectangle (see image) moves differently.

image.png.068d9b6b928bfa0fac9607f8b7b26537.png

Another and more anyoing bug happens while reloading a file. This destroyed some work I made yesterday.

1. I use the live layer on any object.
  2. I copy it one time and move it afterwards (everything still works).
  3. I copy this copy again and the same problem as described as above happened.
  4. However, If I now close and reopen the file, the first copy (at step 2) is also broken now.

I deliberatly wanted to use the live layer since some global values like the color of strokes and fillings or the content of text are not yet fixed. So, I cannot use the perspective tool until then. So, I have now several questions:

• Did I something wrong?
  • How to solve this bug?
  • Would it be possible to apply the same perspective distortion (so the square where can I input the perspective change) to other objects without the "global" position of this square?

Kind regards,
Marc

Welcome to the forums @Marc S.,

I can confirm that here, plus it gets more strange. Copying the Copy, not matter what method, CTL+C/CTL+V, hold CTL while dragging, or Duplicating the Layer in the Layers panel or Menu, the 2nd Copy seems to have a mask over it. You can see it in the Layers Panel, you can see it's selected on the preview window (document), by the selection box around it, but you can not see it. Since the Layers Panel shows what looks like a inverted mask (black box), tried inverting it and nothing.

liveperspcopy.JPG

I also tried converting the rectangle to a curve, and still had no affect to reveal it. When the Group is selected in the Layers Panel it shows no fill or stroke. Changing that, still had no affect.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks, that you confirmed my problem! The "mask" problem also appeared for me once or so, but it wasn't really replicable for me.

The main issue I have with this problem is, that is really hard to create perspective based images for concept sketches in quick succession, since I always have to re-apply the same transformation for every copy of my group/layer by hand. This is not only tedious but also error prone. So I hope this can be fixed.
Did someone encouter this in a previous version?

Hello @Marc S.,

Welcom to the Forum.

I can confirm this, both in the buy version and in the current beta version,   regardless of whether  OpenCl is enable or disenable.
I still have the version 1.8.5.703 installed on my laptop, after the first attempts the copying of the groups works with perspective Layer.  

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

This bug is known and is being investigated by the developers.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hey,

thanks for the Info. I hope this can be fixed in the next version/beta version. This would help me improve my workflow again.
One last question, but I think the answer is no: If this bug is fixed, can the old perspective layers be restored? Or do I have to recreate them?

Didn't make the fix for the 2.1005 Beta.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff
On 3/12/2021 at 11:57 AM, Marc S. said:

If this bug is fixed, can the old perspective layers be restored? Or do I have to recreate them?

If you've not saved over your old projects, they should work fine, as the problem was at load time - but the original file still had the correct data. However, if you've saved them while they were broken, then no, these could not be restored, as the new file will have the new(wrong) position. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is still in 1.10.5 it seems (at least on Windows). Duplicating a perspective adjustment bring to totally wrong result.... sad it is still there and makes it a PITA working with perspective fx...

I'm sad and a bit frustrated, v1.x development seems stopped and I'm encountering loads of hiccups and buglets on almost everything I do with AP...

- Mario