You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to use the Pencil Tool in Designer without it automatically 'selecting' the stroke straight after you've drawn it?
Perhaps an option or preference that I can disable that leaves all the strokes unselected until I choose to use the Node or Move Tool myself in case I want to edit it?
It's quite difficult to see what you're drawing in a complicated illustration when the line you've just drawn is automatically selected and shows all the nodes.

So basically act like a pixel brush and I'm pretty sure there isn't an option, to do that. I can see the merit in how you want the pencil tool to behave, so hatching for instance or fine detail work but the app is acknowledging the pencil stroke and showing the nodes. When you subsequently draw another pencil stroke the others are deselected and seen as strokes.

So you want to draw the pencil stroke and have the stroke layer automatically deselected?

The only thing I can suggest is to put a request in for this feature here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Edit > Preferences > Tools

Tool Handle Size: Smallest

Will minimise the size of the Nodes, which may help a bit

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 Thank you for the tip! I have done this and it definitely does help a bit.

@firstdefence Not necessarily a Pixel Brush, but more like the vector brush tool - when using the Brush Tool the strokes don't become selected on the canvas after you draw them. If I choose to edit the nodes I will use the node tool or hold cmd. I personally use the Pencil Tool though, as it ensures that I will be able to expand the strokes later on if necessary. Obviously not all vector brushes in Affinity have this option, such as the textured/intensity brushes which offer you the option to edit the path, even though the brush itself is not technically vector, where the Pencil Tool is purely vector at all times. I suppose both tools have their merits, but it would be nice to have the option for the Pencil tool not to show the nodes immediately after you've drawn a stroke so that you can draw more freely without visual distractions.