You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Certain TIFF files don't display properly, looks correct in Photoshop/Irfanview

I've come across a handful of TIFF files, created in an old version of Photoshop (Photoshop 7.0), that don't open properly in Affinity Photo. I don't really know how to explain it, so I've attached a comparison below, along with a sample file. This shows in the current version of Affinity Photo (1.9.1) and the previous build (1.9.0), have not tested in earlier versions.

Sample file: EX_Team_Rocket_Returns_Mewtwo_Booster.TIF

Comparison:

Rendering bug.png

Hello @immewnity,

open the TIF files in Photoshop and delete the alpha channel 1,
then the TIF files should open properly in Affinity Photo.
According to my knowledge, can Photoshop save alpha channels in TIFF files and  Affinity-Photo not.

Cheers

Pokemon.png

EX_Team_Rocket_Returns_Mewtwo_Booster-2.tif

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

• Staff

Hi—sorry what am I missing? The file opens up and look right to me in Affinity Photo without removing the Alpha channel. The only difference is that glow down the left-edge:

1.jpg

I'm certainly not seeing what you showed in your comparison screenshot 😮 

For a proper comparison, a screenshot of both Photoshop and Affinity Photo would be helpful.

For a quick screenshot (Windows 10), press the Windows key and the Print key. The screenshots should be found in the Pictures 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

34 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The file opens up and look right to me in Affinity Photo without removing the Alpha channel.

Which version did you open? The repaired one from Gnobelix or from the OP? Even with the same beta the original image opened wrong.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Chris B Open the file from the first posting. Then go to the channels and invert the background alpha channel.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

8 hours ago, Komatös said:

@Chris B Open the file from the first posting. Then go to the channels and invert the background alpha channel.

... that works, thanks.

But it only shows either background and foreground. What if there is information on both channels? How do I show / combine both? 

34 minutes ago, Chris B said:

😳 I was sure I opened the file from immewnity... Inverting does work but ideally we'd like to open the file and have it just work. I will pass this back to the developers.

I remember I had that same issue with placing Tifs wit an alpha channel in Publisher some time ago. I was hoping that was solved, therefore I searched for that again.:

In fact it does not work properly at all – there is a bright halo left around the selected shape.

Last year I was told that: "The bright halos are because RGB values have been brightened by the broken TIFF importer. The TIFF importer seems to assume that the file's RGB values have been premultiplied with black where alpha is not zero, and so it un-premultiplies where alpha is not zero, hence the bright halos when alpha is filled. (Someone at Serif should have debugged this years ago!)"

see my topic here: 

I don't know if that has been passed to the developers?

Because I have 1000s of tifs from 25 years with all kind of channels here, that I cannot open in AP, I would be very interested in a solution.