Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Disappointed but I know Affinity is the hope for the future


Recommended Posts

Hello folks,

I want to write in order to express some feedback. We are a small company and we are looking for alternative to the Adobe suite, since those subscriptions are too expensive, it is abusive in fact. So I downloaded Designer and Photo for our designer in order to test it in the iMac 2015 of the company.

Unfortunately, she found many lacking tools that are basic for the work in this company. We already searched solutions in these forums and FAQs, but it is clear this features are still not present in Affinity. This is her feedback:

- When opening the files that were created in Adobe suit, Designer and Photo reinterpret them and they don't keep long texts, incrusted effects nor groups (the images and the text appear as separated elements, vectors and letters).

- There are no distortion effect tools, which are required for texts and images on rounded objects (like cups, ballons and bottles).

- It is hard to save the files into common formats (.ai) which are necessary to share the files with suppliers, manufacturers and clients.

I am very hopeful that Affinity will be the champion that will vanish Adobe abusive business model, but there is still some way to go. Wishing you all the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @disenoprotectoseal2021, welcome to the forums!

 

18 hours ago, disenoprotectoseal2021 said:

When opening the files that were created in Adobe suit, Designer and Photo reinterpret them and they don't keep long texts, incrusted effects nor groups (the images and the text appear as separated elements, vectors and letters).

If you are trying to open .ai files, know that the Affinity suite cannot interpret or generate this as it is a proprietary format.  Instead, it tries to interpret the PDF data embedded in most .ai files (if the PDF is turned off in AI when exporting the Affinity applications won't be able to read the file at all).  As some of these elements do not translate into PDF natively they cannot be imported intact by the Affinity applications.

PSD files (Photoshop documents) generally fare a bit better, but due to inherent differences in the way the applications work may still not be 100% depending on what features of Photoshop were used.

It is almost guaranteed that this situation will not change, and virtually any other application you consider will similarly not be a 100% match for what you are currently using.

 

18 hours ago, disenoprotectoseal2021 said:

There are no distortion effect tools, which are required for texts and images on rounded objects (like cups, ballons and bottles).

This has previously been discussed on other threads and is a known limitation of the software at this time.  Depending on how much you need to do this you might consider a separate application for generating the distorted text, such as Art Text.

 

18 hours ago, disenoprotectoseal2021 said:

It is hard to save the files into common formats (.ai) which are necessary to share the files with suppliers, manufacturers and clients.

If you really need to send .ai files to third parties and cannot get them to accept the Affinity formats directly, you may have little choice but to stick with what you are using (or find new suppliers, manufacturers and clients to replace the ones who insist on these formats).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, fde101 said:

 

18 hours ago, disenoprotectoseal2021 said:

It is hard to save the files into common formats (.ai) which are necessary to share the files with suppliers, manufacturers and clients.

If you really need to send .ai files to third parties and cannot get them to accept the Affinity formats directly, you may have little choice but to stick with what you are using (or find new suppliers, manufacturers and clients to replace the ones who insist on these formats).

As AI is a propriety format by Adobe, you will only be able to use them in Adobe Software. I do not know what line of work you do, so I cannot say if another vector format would also work for the supplier. I would recommend using EPS for most printing, SVG for other applications. I can see that switching away from Adobe can be difficult, as no design software will be able to give you the same workflow, so if you want to switch you may have to make some compromises. It took me some time to adopt to Affinity, but I think the time I spent with it was well spent, as I feel I can work very efficiently in Affinity, in some thing even more efficient than Adobe. But how you fare will depend on your requirements an your ability to adapt. If you are a small business and the Sub is to high an investment to make in relation to the income, I think Affinity is a good compromise. Otherwise you might want to try Corel Draw or Quark Xpress?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.